Sign in with
Your question

Graphic card seems to meet requirements but not enough

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2011 2:45:50 PM

Hello,

Maybe this is a bit of a dumb question but I got really pissed about this.
Having been wrong before and having bought a game that doesn't run properly on my laptop, I always try the site Can You Run It? (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/) before I actually buy a game.
This has been bugging me since I don't understand why my Graphic Card does not meet the required, since it does in the subcategories. I explain, for instance, in the Can You Run It? site for Resident Evil 4 appears that I cannot run it because of my Video Card:

Video Card
Minimum: 128 MB DirectX 9.0c-compliant AGP / PCI Express w/ Shader 2.0 or higher (NVIDIA GeForce 6/7 families+ /ATI Radeon X Series+ [X200 not supported])

You Have: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

ok I get it, it's not there. But then:

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Video RAM: Required: 128 MB; You have: 256.0 MB
3D: Required: Yes; You Have: Yes
Hardware T&L: Required: Yes; You have: Yes
Pixel Shader Version: Required: 2.0; You have: 3.0
Vertex Shader Version: Required: 2.0; You have: 3.0

See what I mean? My Graphic Card does meet all the subcategories here. I do realise that I probably cannot run this game anyway but I would like to understand why not. Would anyone tell me? Could this be that I have the wrong drivers and my graphic card isn't the 4 Series Express Chipset Family? I wish that to be true! :whistle: 
Anyways, my laptop is the not so known ASUS X5DIJ-SX155L and since the rest of the requirements are met I won't bore you with them, though if you find it useful you can let me know and I'll post them!

Thanks alot in advance!
September 12, 2011 3:09:12 PM

I don't see why you cannot run this game. Your intergrated graphic chip is well enough to run it. Did you actually tried it?

EDIT: Look that guy runs Resident Evil 5 on that same graphic chip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsbDY1VFpDA
a c 171 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 3:21:07 PM

My guess is because its a mobile "GPU". It listed AGP or PCIe video cards, which yours isn't. It's an IGP (integrated part) and as such is no where near as powerful as one might think. It also rules out the x200, which is a mobile part as well if I remember correctly.
Related resources
a c 253 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 3:31:54 PM

An intergrated chip might be great for surfing the web and watching movies on your laptop but you really should have a dicrete graphics card when it comes to playing games.
September 14, 2011 9:10:36 AM

thanks you'all. I got to understand these things a bit better and @MrBig55 I haven't tried and you're probably right. Maybe it does work. For instance, the site Can You Run It? tells me that I shouldn't be able to run Left 4 Dead 2 and F.E.A.R. and I bought those 2 and have them running smoothly enough on low settings. It's just hard to know for sure before you actually try it. Thanks!
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 9:17:42 AM

The can you run it site isnt that precise it seems to me to be mainly directed at desktop PC's
Take a look at this site to see what you graphics are capable of, just select your exact chip from the long list.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-335M.240...

Mactronix :) 
a c 171 U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 9:34:42 AM

I would trust a notebook review site over a general review site. As I said, its probably because you have a notebook IGP that it simply fails you.
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 1:08:20 PM

4745454b said:
I would trust a notebook review site over a general review site. As I said, its probably because you have a notebook IGP that it simply fails you.

So you wouldn't trust a dedicated review site that deals specifically in the subject at hand ? Rather you would use a general review site instead ?

Dont see the logic there ?

Mactronix :) 
a c 171 U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 1:44:41 PM

? I didn't write that. I would trust a dedicated review site over a general review site.
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 3:21:25 PM

4745454b said:
? I didn't write that. I would trust a dedicated review site over a general review site.

Apologies my bad i was doing the old three things at once routine, trying to do what i want and two things the wife wanted as well as her talking to me :pt1cable: 

Mactronix :??: 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 8:02:59 PM

mjayff said:
thanks you'all. I got to understand these things a bit better and @MrBig55 I haven't tried and you're probably right. Maybe it does work. For instance, the site Can You Run It? tells me that I shouldn't be able to run Left 4 Dead 2 and F.E.A.R. and I bought those 2 and have them running smoothly enough on low settings. It's just hard to know for sure before you actually try it. Thanks!

You could always try out the demo on Steam. :) 
At least that is the legal way to be trying before buying. :) 
!