What's an SLI Bridge?

G

I once saw that to use SLI you need something called an SLI bridge, as I'm about to use SLI I have attempted to look for information on one but I am having trouble. Is an SLI bridge required to have a successful SLI or will just an SLI compatible motherboard be sufficient?

Thanks for your help.

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
An SLI bridge is required for SLI, you connect it to the "Top" of the cards, it doesn't matter, as all graphics card will come with one, so if you lose it, your second card will have one.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Sorry but NO you don't need a SLI bridge for a SLI setup!! but it is highly recommended to use one as both graphic cards will be able to communicate directly with each other. It will also improve stability.

Some cards do not require a SLI bridge and some do. For example, a Geforce 8600GT card does not need it at all.

Huh? You can certainly crossfire cards WITHOUT a bridge. Not true at all. And NO, all cards DO NOT come with a bridge. LOL

G

I just looked in my box for my GTX470 and I couldn't find an SLI bridge, but I'm still not totally sure what it is I'm looking for, could you tell me what it looks like to double check and then looking to see if the second GTX470 I order comes with the SLI bridge.

I just looked in my box for my GTX470 and I couldn't find an SLI bridge, but I'm still not totally sure what it is I'm looking for, could you tell me what it looks like to double check and then looking to see if the second GTX470 I order comes with the SLI bridge.
You won't find one because they are not included with the graphic card.

G

Ah alright, so it will be in with my Motherboard? Also, does it take any installing or anything or just the hardware fitting in?

G

Yeah the specs say it's crossfire and SLI ready, so that's good. Thanks for your help :)

wingartz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
onyl ati cards come with cf bridges, sli bridges come with certified sli motherboards, the graphics card's package does not come with bridges

G

Awesome, thanks everybody for your help and advice it's been great :)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

+1, I haven't got a SLI bridge with my GTX 560 Ti (and no nVidia sticker either, lol), but I got it with my Asus P8P67 Pro. OP, SLI bridge looks like a short wide connector similar to what IDE connectors used to look like - you can't really mistake it for anything else. Also, look in Wikipedia or Google for pictures - might help.

Surprised no one threw a picture in:

SLI_jumber.jpg