ATI AIW Radeon TV still capture

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi:)

I have the ATI All-in-wonder Radeon. I want to take some screenshots off my TV. My problem is, the program seems to output them into either a 720x480 file (streched a bit, but still mostly usable), or 720x240 file (completely unusable).
The funny thing is, it decided itself apparently what to do -- I only know what resolution it took a picture in when I look at the file.

I have a dual-boot machine, in Win2k it takes shots mostly in 720x480 with occasional 720x240. In WinME, it seems premanently stuck in the 720x240 mode.

I used to be able to change resolution at will with the old ATI TV-Wonder. Where can I change the capture resolution in ATI AIW Radeon? It takes it in one of those regardless of how big or full screen the TV is while viewing.

I want to be able to take it in whatever size I'm watching the TV, or failing that, at least in 640x480, non-streched.

Is there any option which allows me to setup the size of the captured still? Thanx! :)

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh, and hobbit, if you're reading this post and have constructive help to offer, by all means please do!:) However, I beg whatever human decency you have left in you not to paste the post-from-hell which you are so want to do... thanx! :)

G

I want to get a tv card but after reading hobbit's crap and now your problem, I think I'll get a Matrox.

I have a couple of old ATI all-in-one Wonder Pro's and yes, there was an adjustment possible from the Display settings.

Anyway, I hope you find your answer.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
your choice for the video cards obviously, I didn't know Matrox had a TV-tuner version myself...

though my question isn't a problem, its just that I'm apparently too blind to see what I have to push :)... I know its in there somewhere, I just don't know where...

G

I thought the Matrox was coming out with a new card this month that was supposed to include a tv tuner - the g450 etv.

I just went on their web site and now it says "late q1".

Have you tried rtfm? The old ati all in one w pro manuals weren't too bad.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
lol Well, said. Just, dont be afraid to admit you have problems with ATI AIW Radeon even though you adamantly proclaimed you didnt...

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanx, hobbit, helpful as always:)

and here I clicked on the message thinking it was somebody who had something to say...:-(

anyhoo, the problem is solved, thanx all for your help:)
As I said, it wasn't a problem with a card, or with software really, it was a human issue: I just didn't know what button to push... I re-enabled the still gallery, changed settings there, and disabled it again, now its fine:)

pat

Expert
Kodiak, the NTSC standard for TV resolution in North America is
736X482. This is what you see when looking at a tv set.

So, the signal that input into the AIW is at this resolution. So,
if you're watching TV at 640X480, then maybe there is a RT scaling
feature in the chipset.

So, what you can do is to correct the pixel aspect ratio to fit the ratio
of your scren mode.

Aspect ratio is de difference between the width and height
of a pixel at different resolution. Pixels are'nt always square.
To produce print, you have to have square pixels so the ratio should be 1

At 800X600, the pixel width is 3/4 (600/800=0.75)the height
size...At 736X482, then it have a ratio of 0.65. This is why
image are sometime stetched.

I did my best...

->My english may be not so good, but you havent see my japanese!!!!

G

Kodiac (and others), I was thinking of getting one of these to replace my aging TNT2U and ATI TV Wonder (both of which work perfectly together). What do you think of your card?

He who laughs at something wrong
Has found someone else to blame it on

DavidCPA

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I have the Radeon AIW and thoroughly enjoy it. It has tons of connectivity (S-video in/out, composite in/out, TV in, etc) and works as advertised. My wife likes making short videos with the included software and I have been very happy with the gaming capabilities of this card. Most of the minor graphics glitches that I have found in games have been cured by driver updates. I also enjoy watching TV on my PC which I thought I would never do. I know the prices are still high on this card but that is because it is in demand and delivers a great feature set.

Best of luck with your new card.