Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Executing .exe files from an ftp

Tags:
  • FTP
  • Connection
  • Servers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Share
December 10, 2010 1:18:28 AM

hi I was trying to make it so I can have haloce (free and legal) on an ftp server and goto school, connect to the ftp and run the .exe from the server. I need to do this because the halo that someone put on the schools shared drive got to popular and was deleted b/c they didn't want games taking up the space so I need to find the fastest and most space efficient way to have anyone in my school run halo without getting into the startup files of the school network (dnt want to get screwed) anyone know how this can be accomplished?
NOTE: halo requires files to run and some of these files get to be over 100mb which would take too long on the school comps to play this is why I was wondering if halo can become a "browser based" game of sorts (not really just by how its hosted)

thanks guys just wondering if it can be done

More about : executing exe files ftp

December 10, 2010 4:14:53 PM

nick93us said:
hi I was trying to make it so I can have haloce (free and legal) on an ftp server and goto school, connect to the ftp and run the .exe from the server. I need to do this because the halo that someone put on the schools shared drive got to popular and was deleted b/c they didn't want games taking up the space so I need to find the fastest and most space efficient way to have anyone in my school run halo without getting into the startup files of the school network (dnt want to get screwed) anyone know how this can be accomplished?
NOTE: halo requires files to run and some of these files get to be over 100mb which would take too long on the school comps to play this is why I was wondering if halo can become a "browser based" game of sorts (not really just by how its hosted)

thanks guys just wondering if it can be done


I think you're misunderstanding the premise of FTP. FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol". The only thing that FTP is designed to do is transfer entire files between computers, not transfer program data or input.

You might be able to get away with installing the game on a portable hard drive or even a high performance flash drive and run it that way. I've done that in the past with games like WoW and others. You'll notice a performance hit but it's really not as bad as some people claim it is. The only problem is that you need to ensure that the systems can actually run the game. Most educational networks only have workstations capable of word processing and video decompression, that's all they're equipped for. Integrated sound and video MIGHT be able to run Halo (if it's a newer system) but I doubt it.
m
0
l
December 10, 2010 4:52:24 PM

Psychoteddy said:
I think you're misunderstanding the premise of FTP. FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol". The only thing that FTP is designed to do is transfer entire files between computers, not transfer program data or input.

You might be able to get away with installing the game on a portable hard drive or even a high performance flash drive and run it that way. I've done that in the past with games like WoW and others. You'll notice a performance hit but it's really not as bad as some people claim it is. The only problem is that you need to ensure that the systems can actually run the game. Most educational networks only have workstations capable of word processing and video decompression, that's all they're equipped for. Integrated sound and video MIGHT be able to run Halo (if it's a newer system) but I doubt it.

oh kk I knew that just didnt know that its only used for files not data
is there a system that can transfer game data?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 10, 2010 4:58:38 PM

nick93us said:
oh kk I knew that just didnt know that its only used for files not data
is there a system that can transfer game data?


Unfortunately, no. Even remote desktop applications such as Windows' built-in RDP, VNC, and others don't have the capability of displaying DirectX games across a WAN (Wide Area Network).

You may be able to, however, subscribe to OnLive and hope they get Halo sometime soon. :) 

OnLive is the front runner in this department right now. Basically you pay for the service and can stream games (and in the future, movies) to any computer with an internet connection and a processor made after the Pentium IV era.
m
0
l
December 10, 2010 5:56:18 PM

Psychoteddy said:
Unfortunately, no. Even remote desktop applications such as Windows' built-in RDP, VNC, and others don't have the capability of displaying DirectX games across a WAN (Wide Area Network).

You may be able to, however, subscribe to OnLive and hope they get Halo sometime soon. :) 

OnLive is the front runner in this department right now. Basically you pay for the service and can stream games (and in the future, movies) to any computer with an internet connection and a processor made after the Pentium IV era.

ok thanks for the suggestion for now I guess ill have to go with plan b which is just put all the necessary files for halo to run and bloodgulch zip it up (63mb) and see how fast the comps can download them (might just put it on all the C drives as there is sooooooo many huge security holes its not even funny anyone that presses F8 when the computers boot can get into a "windows PE" and have a cmd prompt with full admin rights without logging into anything and theres a admin cmd that anyone can access while logged in with no code modifying at all

thanks for all the help oh and if anyone knows how to lower the download size or knows a legal way to let everyone in the school be able to play haloce quickly let me know
m
0
l
December 10, 2010 5:57:56 PM

nick93us said:
ok thanks for the suggestion for now I guess ill have to go with plan b which is just put all the necessary files for halo to run and bloodgulch zip it up (63mb) and see how fast the comps can download them (might just put it on all the C drives as there is sooooooo many huge security holes its not even funny anyone that presses F8 when the computers boot can get into a "windows PE" and have a cmd prompt with full admin rights without logging into anything and theres a admin cmd that anyone can access while logged in with no code modifying at all

thanks for all the help oh and if anyone knows how to lower the download size or knows a legal way to let everyone in the school be able to play haloce quickly let me know


You might want to try 7zip compression. 7zip has a pretty efficient compression algorithm. And it's open source! :D 
m
0
l
December 10, 2010 6:10:04 PM

Psychoteddy said:
You might want to try 7zip compression. 7zip has a pretty efficient compression algorithm. And it's open source! :D 

lol I love 7z i used it to compress halo its 188mb uncompressed so 1/3 the size is great just wish i could get it down to the 20s or if there was another way that i missed lol but o well at least I still get to play :D 
m
0
l
!