Sign in with
Your question

My PC will not boot up after installing a new video card and PSU

Last response: in Components
February 10, 2012 12:25:03 AM

Graphics card updated: Nvidia Geforce 560 ti
PSU: GS600 (corsair)

After I inserted the graphics card in, I took the two 6 to 4 power cables and plugged them in. At the end with 4 slots, I plugged in my PSU's 4 power cable slot into it. I plugged in all of the cables needed to plug in (one for processor (4 slot cable), and also the 24 slot cable).
Now, there are still a lot of extra cables that my PSU came with. I'm positive I got everything plugged in. Windows won't boot.
The light inside the guts of my computer light up, but when I go and turn on my PC nothing boots up. I am extremely new to this, thank you.
http://i.imgur.com/p2NOD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TRcay.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/X7KwN.jpg
Can anyone help me? It wont boot up at all..
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 243 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 12:57:39 AM

Make sure you did not accidently unplug the hard drive SATA cable and make sure you plugged in the hard drive to the SATA power cable. If that does not help here is our standard checklist for a computer that will not boot.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 12:59:24 AM

do what anort said first. but also try taking out the graphics card and booting off the onboard graphics if you have any.
Related resources
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 1:23:22 AM

vertpin said:
Graphics card updated: Nvidia Geforce 560 ti
PSU: GS600 (corsair)

After I inserted the graphics card in, I took the two 6 to 4 power cables and plugged them in. At the end with 4 slots, I plugged in my PSU's 4 power cable slot into it. I plugged in all of the cables needed to plug in (one for processor (4 slot cable), and also the 24 slot cable).
Now, there are still a lot of extra cables that my PSU came with. I'm positive I got everything plugged in. Windows won't boot.
The light inside the guts of my computer light up, but when I go and turn on my PC nothing boots up. I am extremely new to this, thank you.
http://i.imgur.com/p2NOD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TRcay.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/X7KwN.jpg
Can anyone help me? It wont boot up at all..

Why are you using two 6 to 4 power cables?

The power supply comes with two (6+2)-pin PCI-E Connectors that will plug directly into the graphics card. This is the preferred way to connect the power connectors from the power supply to the graphics card.

Does anything show up on the display or does the display even detect a signal from the graphics card?

Is the graphics card fully seated in the PCIe x16 slot?
February 10, 2012 2:04:32 AM

ko888 said:
Why are you using two 6 to 4 power cables?

The power supply comes with two (6+2)-pin PCI-E Connectors that will plug directly into the graphics card. This is the preferred way to connect the power connectors from the power supply to the graphics card.

Does anything show up on the display or does the display even detect a signal from the graphics card?

Is the graphics card fully seated in the PCIe x16 slot?

I just connected the video card with the 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors. Nothing shows up on the display, the fan doesn't start up, the computer won't start at all. It does not detect a signal. Although, if I mess with the 24 pin PCI-E connector, my PSU starts to go, but stops for a second and doesn't occur again unless I play with it.
Could it be my motherboard? I tried putting in my old PSU and removed my new graphics card and nothing booted.
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 2:09:34 AM

Yes it can be a problem with the 24-pin ATX main power connector on the motherboard.
February 10, 2012 2:16:29 AM

ko888 said:
Yes it can be a problem with the 24-pin ATX main power connector on the motherboard.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? What should I do?
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 2:28:54 AM

vertpin said:
Is there anything I can do to fix this? What should I do?

There may be a pin in that socket that is only making an intermittent connection when you fiddle around with the connector.

That's a lot pins to test to determine which one(s) are causing the problem.

It could also turn out to be a cracked trace on the motherboard or even a cold solder joint.
February 10, 2012 2:37:12 AM

When I fiddle with it the PSU fan starts going on and off, same with the one attatched to the motherboard. The videocard one won't move or go at all...is my video cards fan supposed to go? Maybe its not in the socket all the way?
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 2:41:02 AM

vertpin said:
When I fiddle with it the PSU fan starts going on and off, same with the one attatched to the motherboard. The videocard one won't move or go at all...is my video cards fan supposed to go? Maybe its not in the socket all the way?

I did ask you if the graphics card was fully seated in the PCIe x16 slot.

If it's fully seated it should be locked into the slot by the latch at the end of the PCIe x16 slot so that the card can't be pulled out without releasing the latch.
February 10, 2012 2:49:04 AM

ko888 said:
I did ask you if the graphics card was fully seated in the PCIe x16 slot.

If it's fully seated it should be locked into the slot by the latch at the end of the PCIe x16 slot so that the card can't be pulled out without releasing the latch.

Yeah, it's definetly in there. And the fan does go apparently too. :p 
So when I do fiddle with the 24 pin, and it goes, I try hitting the power button and I get nothing... but it's a on and off cycle when the fan turns on. :/  So it looks like I need a new 24 pin reciever on the motherboard? (or a entirely new motherboard in general)? I really wish it would just turn on...
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 2:52:14 AM

vertpin said:
Yeah, it's definetly in there. And the fan does go apparently too. :p 
So when I do fiddle with the 24 pin, and it goes, I try hitting the power button and I get nothing... but it's a on and off cycle when the fan turns on. :/  So it looks like I need a new 24 pin reciever on the motherboard? (or a entirely new motherboard in general)? I really wish it would just turn on...

Try the new power supply in a different system just to prove that its not the cause of the problem.
February 10, 2012 2:55:10 AM

ko888 said:
Try the new power supply in a different system just to prove that its not the cause of the problem.

I don't have another system for me to use. :x
Are you saying that the PSU is not the source of the issue?
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 2:59:27 AM

vertpin said:
I don't have another system for me to use. :x
Are you saying that the PSU is not the source of the issue?

Nothing's been ruled out.

You need a working system to test out the individual components to ensure that they are working. Otherwise its all just a guessing game.
February 10, 2012 3:01:49 AM

ko888 said:
Nothing's been ruled out.

You need a working system to test out the individual components to ensure that they are working. Otherwise its all just a guessing game.

Dang it. :(  I really don't know what to do then, I purchased a Dell inspiron 620, inserted the video card (560 ti), and inserted the psu and it just wont boot. Should I turn in the dell and get a different PC?
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 3:30:56 AM

vertpin said:
Dang it. :(  I really don't know what to do then, I purchased a Dell inspiron 620, inserted the video card (560 ti), and inserted the psu and it just wont boot. Should I turn in the dell and get a different PC?

You said you retried it with the original power supply and without the new graphics card and you still have the problem so that tells me there is something wrong with the original system components.

Have you tried holding in the front panel power switch for at least 5 seconds to see if there is any different behavior?
February 10, 2012 3:31:06 AM

So I switched out the my SPU for my original one, and I swapped out my graphics card to the original settings to when it worked. My system still wont turn on. :/ 
February 10, 2012 3:32:10 AM

ko888 said:
You said you retried it with the original power supply and without the new graphics card and you still have the problem so that tells me there is something wrong with the original system components.

Have you tried holding in the front panel power switch for at least 5 seconds to see if there is any different behavior?

I will try holding the front panel switch for at least 5 seconds.
edit: Nope, no difference.
February 10, 2012 3:49:57 AM

So I removed the SPU and added the one that came with the Dell Inspiron 620, and removed the 560 ti I bought. I am unsure what cables should go to what ports...
Did I do it right?
pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
February 10, 2012 5:34:19 AM

I make it short:
1.) re-seat memory
2.) if can it boot, go to BIOS -> on board graphics disable ; boot from pci_e (or something like that)
2.) check the new psu. connect to main. short green cable with black cable (24 pin) fan should spin
3.) install the new psu and graphics
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 3:16:59 PM

vertpin said:
So I removed the SPU and added the one that came with the Dell Inspiron 620, and removed the 560 ti I bought. I am unsure what cables should go to what ports...
Did I do it right?
pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4

From your pictures the 24-pin ATX12V main power connector and the 4-pin ATX12V CPU power connector appear to be properly connected to the motherboard.

The SATA power connector appears to be properly connected to the hard disk drive. You don't show a picture for the optical drive.

I see an LED that is lit near your SATA ports on the motherboard. I assume that this is the +5V standby power indicator that shows that the power supply is connected to an AC outlet and the PSU's main power switch is turned on. It doesn't indicate that the power supply is functioning properly though.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS using the CMOS reset jumper (CMOSCLR1)?
!