Real Cheap Build Need Help

Shallowmist

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Ok here's what i think: Since you won't use it for gaming i think you can cut down cost by buying AMD CPU i think you can get a phenom cheaper than then the I5 and the motherboard would be in most cases cheaper as well, thus allowing you to cut down by few bucks. You can get a far better hard drive you choose for a 2.5 inch drive which are more expensive because they are used for laptops primarly. However
You can get a 3.5 inch which will be larger in space and cheaper in money. Also i think you can get another model of the 450 which will be cheaper than the EVGA oh yeah and the power supply you choose doesn't make me happy with the 430W imput. I would get at least a 500 Coolermaster just in case.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
More details need to be provided to choose the proper parts. A little gaming could mean anything from playing a CoD game every once in a long while to only playing flash games on the web. If you can be more specific you'll get better help.

No reason for a 500W PSU. 430 is more than powerful enough for the current setup. In fact, I'd go with a Corsair CX430V2 for $35 after rebate on Newegg.com (it used to be $25 after rebate). Smaller is better since your computer might draw 60-80W at idle and you won't be within the 20% load range. If you draw less than 20% load efficiency drops like a rock (typically to around 70% at 10% load on a quality PSU)

Now the question, is why did you add a video card? There is no need for a video card unless you actually play games. You say only a little gaming, which could mean anything from playing flash games on the internet to the occasional round of Battlefield.

If cheap is your goal, you could go with a A4 X2 3400 2.7GHz Dual Core Socket FM1 - Microcenter $70 - since that will handle everything you need, including Blu-Ray 3D if you want and some very light gaming. For the motherboard you'll have to switch to a FM1 socket so you could get the ASRock A55M-HVS Micro ATX at newegg for $65. And then drop the GPU. You'd end up saving ~$230 just on those three parts alone.

I agree with getting a 3.5" HDD unless that one is a steal. I won't recommend one since they are changing in price so fast (and almost always going up)

If you do need a GPU, you can get a better one for the same $100. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0372693 - comes with a game and has ever so slightly better performance.

Cinci555

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
If you can't take the time to type out your proposed components, why should we bother helping you out. Put links but put the name of the component to make it easier. I'm sure you're very proud of your forum posting skills buts it's more annoying then anything else.

Also use the template that is provided at the top of thus forum so we can actually have answers to questions that makes choices and suggestions easier for us.

I just refuse to help people who wont help themselves .

Its not "neater" . its more time consuming for anyone to look at

and since Im currently on a 3G mobile connection its also slow and expensive to look at them

Ryzuma

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
This topic isnt about if you have the time to look at the parts or not its about helping to fix it up. If you arent going to stay on topic and help or then please dont post. Thank you

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
the topic is about helping you. Making it hard for others to help you will mean you will get no help.

Anyways, the build looks good to me, and will definitely handle any flash games with ease. It'll also play some games on low settings, and can handle blu-ray no problem. You might be able to cut a few more $, but I think you'll be hurting performance too much.

Only reason to go with a "better" motherboard is if you'll use the features. The question is if you are interested in more USB ports, USB3.0, Sata III 6G (only needed if you are going to buy a SSD) and so forth. I think you'll be fine with what you have.