I5 Computer Build - Good choice?

KevvinG

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, I decided to join after finding that most of my questions have been answered by searching on TomsHardware.

I have a build in mind that I should be building later this week, however I just wanted a second opinion on my choice of parts. I am adept at building and overclocking computers, I'm just not 100% on my parts choice.

I'm looking to play games, render movies, edit photos and videos, and record my gameplay as I'm playing the game.
However the main purpose is gaming while recording my gameplay on FRAPS.
(I play CoD And Battlefield)

The parts: I have my own Ultra Aluminus case with 2 120mm Fans and vents all over. (Full tower I believe)
My own Ultra 550 Watt continuous power supply. (Both these are from my old build)

Intel i5- 2500k $224.97
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe $269.97
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz $69.97
MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti (Fermi) Overclocked 1GB DDR5 $249.97 (Will put a second one in eventually)
Prices are all before tax

EDIT: I should mention I need this computer to last me a while, I still want to be able to play games on this in a few years (Hence my choice of motherboard) And I need it to be fairly cost-efficient, I can't afford to go crazy on this one (Which is why I didn't go for the i7)

I just need to know if these are A: Good Parts choices
and B: If I'm getting good/decent prices.

Thanks in advance!!! If anybody has any suggestions please feel free to let me know :)

-KevvinG

Emelth

Distinguished
Depending how hardcore you are in the video/movie/photo editting I would go with the i7 which has the same gaming performance as the i5 but the hyper threading is much better so a win win situation for you but it cost an extra $100.

That a lot of money for the motherboard are you sure you need something that expensive? A good ASRock Z68 $180, $150, or even $130 would do perfectly (I would go with the $180 imo).

560 Ti OC'ed is a good solid choice and should be able to play most new games at a decent FPS, if you plan to SLI in the future however you should upgrade your PSU

KevvinG

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

As for the i7, I was thinking about it but I've heard that there just isn't enough performance increase to justify that 100 dollars, and $100 is alot of money nowadays (I also don't have much extra money to spend on this build)

As for my motherboard choice, I picked it because it has 3 PCI x16 slots, and a front panel USB 3.0. Among other reasons, I want this motherboard to last me a few years (Still be up to date), I haven't really looked into ASRock, are they decent boards?

My PSU is SLI rated however I agree with you, when I get my second card I will probably by a 700 watt PSU

Thanks alot for your input, KevvinG :)

I would pay less for a mb . All Z68 boards will perform very similarly so what you pay for are features you may not use .
There are plenty of SLI/crossfire capable boards that cost $100 less .
By the time you consider 3 graphics cards there will be newer faster generations available that will cost less

That would let you buy a 2600K at the same cost ..........or just save $100

The RAM needs to be 1.5 volt [ or less] for sandy bridge processors

Emelth

Distinguished

No problem might want to bump it to a 750W to give you headroom when ever you decide to purchase the next upgrades. Right now ASRock is the latest rave, their boards really are popular and have shown themselves to be a new top dealer in quality motherboards.

Des123

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Sorry for invading your forum but im thinking of buying a similar build would a
ASUS P8H67-M-LE-V3 with a Intel Core i5-2500K CPU suffice for present and future games e.g BF3 & Skyrim?