Sign in with
Your question

Black screen when log on

Last response: in Windows 7
December 26, 2011 8:59:44 PM

This morning i tried to log onto my computer, and it loaded, but it gave the message preparing your desktop, and it loaded to a black windows screen. It had only the recycle bin at the top left of the screen, and it gave a message could not load user/desktop or something like that. Well i had all my USB stuff plugged in, turtle beach headset, mouse, keyboard, xbox controller. I looked online, because i could go into computer/local disk and find firefox and access the internet. I googled it, and it said something about your computer can confuse your usb drives to be a hard drive. So I took them all out, and restarted and it loaded up good. I also checked the HD for clicking or something like that, and it seems normal. Do you figure it was the USB's or what? Thanks for the help :D  I have windows 7 by the way.

More about : black screen log

December 26, 2011 9:25:28 PM

bump?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2011 10:10:25 PM

I don't think that it is caused by the USB memory sticks, on some computers the computer tries to boot from them but here this is not the case. It would be a good idea to do a memory test, try downloading and running memtest86.
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2011 10:24:56 PM

If that does not work the I have a question for you. Have you ever used your usb drive to back up your computer? If so it is possible that it is reading your user desktop file off the usb drive in which will cause faulty file access. A memory test would be good to try though. Here this should clear things up for you if this is the case http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748927(WS.10).aspx
m
l
December 26, 2011 10:30:24 PM

alright, im bout to do it, i put another ram stick in it yesterday if that helps anything.
m
l
December 26, 2011 10:31:21 PM

and no i have not used a usb drive to back up files
m
l
December 27, 2011 12:02:27 AM

Alright, I just did the memtest, it said it passed no errors. And well it seems like it has worked fine if I don't have it plugged up. Sometimes my comp reads my wireless mouse or keyboard as a drive, but thats about it.
m
l
!