New Build / Aussie Needs some advice

TimmyMcPherson

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hey guys,

Been rummaging around Tom's Hardware for a while, love the System Build Marathons!

I have decided to build a new desktop! Essentially 2 years ago, my desktop storage drives developed a serious logic error. In the time it took my to source the problem, acquire a quote, and decide $1.8k is too much to drop on the recovery of personal photos right now, my system became essentially obsolete. For the subsequent 24 months I resorted to using my mediocre Sony VAIO laptop, running everything on the lowest settings (also the adapter gets so hot the plastic starts to melt slightly -but that is a whole 'nother story).

I am relatively new to the tech scene, and am still trying hard to teach myself about computer components and their relative role within a functioning system.
As previously mentioned, I thoroughly enjoy the SBM's here and based my current build closely on the Q3 $2000 performance build by Tom's Hardware.

I was hoping for some comments regarding bottlenecks, compatibility, cooling, better cost-benefit components, or just general advice regarding the build. Advice from Australian's regarding the pricing and best source of purchase would also be greatly appreciated!

In any case, the build is as follows:

Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4Ghz 1155pin Boxed CPU $334

ASUS MAXIMUSIV-GENE-Z Z68 DDR3 1155pin Motherboard $241

2x Inno3D 1536M GTX580 PCI-E VGA Card $1032

G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1866 F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL $ 72

Kingston SH100S3/120G HyperX 120GB Sanforce SATA3 SSD HDD $254

Seagate 3.5" SV35 1TB ST31000526SV SATA3 Surveillance HDD $169

LG Blu-Ray Combo $ 61

AeroCool Black Hawk Top Docking Front Hotswap USB3.0 Tower Case $113

Antec HCG-900 High Current Gamer Gaming PSU $156

Antec Kuhler H20 620 Water Cooling CPU Cooler $ 84

Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 24-Inch Ultra-thin Widescreen LED Monitor $199

Viewsonic VP920b (currently owned - secondary screen)

TOTAL $2635

My major questions were in regards to whether 900W is enough to support the SLI setup, whether the motherboard is the right choice, and whether there is anything missing or needlessly excessive.

Any hints regarding elements that I have failed to mention, or missed all together!

My goal with the system is to run new games at silky smooth FPS, and for use of photo-shopping.

Again, all advice is most-welcome!

Kind Regards,
Tim McPherson

BlazingNova

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Hey!

I'm a new builder too and I found this quite helpful. I know a few people who lost their hardware due to excessive heating. Could do with another mobo. Even though you have a water cooler, if you decide against buying one...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cooling-airflow-heatsink,review-32315.html

Also the SLI 580's would be overkill for 1080p. No doubt maxing out every game that would be coming out in the near future. Everything else is great.

You wont be having any bottlenecks either.

PCcasegear, Mwave, MSI are other good stores that I know of.

I think it is worthwhile saving the money and just getting the i5-2500K. The price difference is quite large, usually, and the performance difference doesn't always justify the extra cost.

I think putting two GTX 580s on a mATX boards, with no spacing between them will cause heat/cooling and noise issues. I would suggest getting an ATX motherboard.
Based on PCCasegear pricing I would suggest getting the Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 motherboard:
$235
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_1183&products_id=18613

I wouldn't choose the Aerocool Black Hawk either, but there shouldn't be anything wrong with it in terms of cooling, features or quality compared to those other cases (certainly not the CM 690 II which gets rebadged like crazy, unlike the other two cases, which as far as I'm aware are unique and only sold by Silverstone).

Yes a 900W PSU will be fine for a system with two GTX 580s.

TimmyMcPherson

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Thanks for the help guys! So the common themes that I am getting are:

-The case probably isn't the best choice.
-I should probably choose a different motherboard for an SLI setup.

Now, if you were building this rig, what would the first thing you alter (to reduce price) be?

Thanks!