Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 crooke capacitor

Last response: in Motherboards
December 14, 2012 10:57:19 AM

Hello guys! Recently, I just bought this Asus P8Z68-V mobo and I was trying to boot it up the for 1st time and I notice 1 of my capacitor below the CPU is crooked. I took a picture of it so you guys can see.

Although I still tried to boot it up for the 1st time with only my CPU and RAM on it and it works fine. The ASUS EFI BIOS appeared on my screen. But my question is if this board will last long if one of my capacitors is like that.

Is it better to return it to ASUS? Please enlighten me guys as this is also my 1st time to build a rig.

TIA

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 14, 2012 5:20:21 PM

It really shouldn't matter as long as the solder joint is still good and the capacitor itself is not damaged in any way. Put it through a pretty good battery of stress tests to try and suss out any issues, and then you can go from there. If you run into issues, you can work with the reseller you bought it from if you're within their return period, otherwise I should be able to set up an RMA for you.
December 14, 2012 10:48:06 PM

Oh okay. That's what I thought. Okay I will try that first and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.
Related resources
December 21, 2012 11:25:56 AM

cl-scott said:
It really shouldn't matter as long as the solder joint is still good and the capacitor itself is not damaged in any way. Put it through a pretty good battery of stress tests to try and suss out any issues, and then you can go from there. If you run into issues, you can work with the reseller you bought it from if you're within their return period, otherwise I should be able to set up an RMA for you.

can you recommend some programs that I can use for the stress test?

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2012 11:59:20 AM

trivium04 said:
can you recommend some programs that I can use for the stress test?

Thanks!

prime95 and furmark are pretty common, you should run those for over 12 hours. use this to monitor your temps

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
December 26, 2012 8:07:54 AM

cl-scott said:

If I'm gonna do an RMA. Do I need to return the MOBO first?

I tried to test the CPU using OCCT for 2hrs. The highest temp it registered is 80C. And IDLE is about 40. Is that normal?
Although I haven't encountered any restarts yet.

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 26, 2012 5:00:30 PM

I've been out of the game, so to speak, for a while, so I'll let others comment more on the temps. I would say 80C is probably on the high end of normal. Could be better, but it's not anything to worry about. However, 40C idle is pretty good.

But as for generic RMA SOP, then yes. Someone would create an RMA, once the RMA center receives your board, they then ship a replacement to you.
January 3, 2013 12:01:32 PM

cl-scott said:
I've been out of the game, so to speak, for a while, so I'll let others comment more on the temps. I would say 80C is probably on the high end of normal. Could be better, but it's not anything to worry about. However, 40C idle is pretty good.

But as for generic RMA SOP, then yes. Someone would create an RMA, once the RMA center receives your board, they then ship a replacement to you.

okay. Thanks! The mobo is so far so good. If this keeps up then I won't RMA it anymore.

Thanks for the reply
January 12, 2013 9:12:09 AM

Best answer selected by trivium04.
!