$800 Digital Audio workstation

Hey everyone,

This is my first build and just wanted to get some advice. I'll be using it primarily as a digital audio workstation. I don't plan on overclocking right away but may at some point. Stability is more important to me. I'll also be using the integrated graphics on the 2600k to start. If I need a video card at some point I can always add it later. I'll be using just one monitor. I also already have a 1 TB WD Caviar black. The new drive will be the system drive. I already have a sound card/audio interface.

I've been researching components for a couple months and this is what I've come up with. Let me know what you think.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k $319.99

MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 $129.99

PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W $59.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $64.99

HD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s $149.99

CD/DVD: SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB $18.99

Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z Black SECC / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $49.99
11 answers Last reply
More about digital audio workstation
  1. looks a pretty good build for a DAW. if you can add an SSD, that would also help you for faster read/write speeds.
  2. With the shortage of HDDs, and prospective supply problems for the next 6 months, you are well advised to snap up a HDD ASAP, or make due with what you have until the 2nd Q or 3rd Q 2012.

Prices are up from September by, at the very least, 50%, and there may be a worldwide shortage of 40-50 million units in Q1 2012.
  3. Thanks. Yeah i thought about an SSD. I think they're a little expensive to fit into my budget at the moment but maybe someday down the line. A 30 gb to run the OS is temping though.

That's interesting about the HDD shortage. I hadnt heard about that. I thought they seemed more expensive than when i last bought one.
  4. kut24x said:
    Thanks. Yeah i thought about an SSD. I think they're a little expensive to fit into my budget at the moment but maybe someday down the line. A 30 gb to run the OS is temping though.

That's interesting about the HDD shortage. I hadnt heard about that. I thought they seemed more expensive than when i last bought one.

just get another WD 1TB Caviar Black instead and set it on RAID 0. the motherboard you listed seems to support RAID configs.
  5. Digital audio workstation without a pro Sound card ? Also you don't need i7 2600...You can go with i5 2500 / Phenom II X6 1090T and more RAM (16GB)
  6. michxymi said:
    Digital audio workstation without a pro Sound card ? Also you don't need i7 2600...You can go with i5 2500 / Phenom II X6 1090T and more RAM (16GB)

he said he already have an Audio Interface.
  7. michxymi said:
    Digital audio workstation without a pro Sound card ? Also you don't need i7 2600...You can go with i5 2500 / Phenom II X6 1090T and more RAM (16GB)

I was originally thinking about going with an i5 2500 but have seen some recommendations for 2600 for DAW's. I use Fl studio and Reaper which both use hyperthreading. Do you think it still might not be worth it? RAM is pretty cheap so I could always add another 8 GB if I thought it was lacking. I'm not sure though.

thanks
  8. kut24x said:
    I was originally thinking about going with an i5 2500 but have seen some recommendations for 2600 for DAW's. I use Fl studio and Reaper which both use hyperthreading. Do you think it still might not be worth it? RAM is pretty cheap so I could always add another 8 GB if I thought it was lacking. I'm not sure though.

thanks

If you have the money go for i7 2600 + Z68 mobo + 16GB of RAM...If the programs you mention use Hyperthreading / multi cores you can go for AMD FX 8120 + AM3+ mobo + 16GB of RAM ;)
  9. I decided to get 16 gb ram and a slightly better PSU. Corsair Enthusiast series 650w. I'm going to try and wait on the second hard drive for the prices to come back down. Thanks for the help everyone.
  10. nice. what HDD? the Seagate one? if i were you id cancel the Seagate, then get another WD Caviar Black 1TB same model on what you have now. then RAID 0 it.

you will notice performance increase in RAID config.
  11. chinoroy said:
    nice. what HDD? the Seagate one? if i were you id cancel the Seagate, then get another WD Caviar Black 1TB same model on what you have now. then RAID 0 it.

you will notice performance increase in RAID config.

Nice, i may do that. Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Audio Workstations Systems Product