Sign in with
Your question

Is MB shot or could it be BIOS issue.....?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 14, 2012 3:01:42 PM

I was working on this ASUS system for someone and was in the BIOS. I was testing something and changed a setting in BIOS, I turned off SATA, it didn't appear to take the setting after I clicked exit with saved changes and reset/restart. I click exit with saved changes again and it restarted, but nothing came up on screen. I tried resetting the BIOS using the jumper as instructed by ASUS on their website, but that didn't work. Tried pulling the battery and doing the jumper, no go.

Now I need to figure out if it's shot or not, or what I can do. I have the ASUS DVD but can't boot to it, ugh!

Also, there is NO USB power to any of the USB ports.

Here is the MB model.....ASUS P8H61 - M LE/CSM

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

More about : shot bios issue

a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2012 3:10:21 PM

when booting press del key to access bios. does that work?
i have never heard of disabling sata bricking bios. also on some motherboards you have clear cmos button on the backplate..i know you took the battery out but you can try that too
a c 555 V Motherboard
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
December 14, 2012 3:10:29 PM

Hi, When clearing the CMOS was the power supply off or the power cord unplugged?
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 14, 2012 3:10:36 PM

Be sure you didn't leave the cmos jumper in the wrong position (it's easy to do). I don't use it for that reason; removing the button battery works better than just moving the jumper (with the power supply unplugged).
December 14, 2012 3:13:42 PM

alvine said:
when booting press del key to access bios. does that work?
i have never heard of disabling sata bricking bios. also on some motherboards you have clear cmos button on the backplate..i know you took the battery out but you can try that too

Hi, yes I looked for a cmos button but this MB doesn't appear to have one.
December 14, 2012 3:14:31 PM

o1die said:
Be sure you didn't leave the cmos jumper in the wrong position (it's easy to do). I don't use it for that reason; removing the button battery works better than just moving the jumper (with the power supply unplugged).

Yes I tripled checked the jumper and it's in the correct position.
December 14, 2012 3:15:44 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, When clearing the CMOS was the power supply off or the power cord unplugged?

I tried it both ways, power cord unplugged and power supply off. I even disconnected the power plug from the MB.

I failed to mention that there is NO USB power either.
a c 555 V Motherboard
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
December 14, 2012 3:21:09 PM

Can you test the board with a different power supply?
December 14, 2012 3:24:28 PM

alexoiu said:
Can you test the board with a different power supply?

Unfortunately I don't have another supply to test with. Everything else is being powered, all the fans, lights, optical drive, etc..

a c 555 V Motherboard
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
December 14, 2012 3:27:14 PM

Not sure if it's a BIOS issue. You can order though one from ASUS eStore in the US or from ebay. The BIOS chip is on socket (if I'm not wrong).
Can you connect a case speaker to the motherboard?
December 14, 2012 3:34:58 PM

alexoiu said:
Not sure if it's a BIOS issue. You can order though one from ASUS eStore in the US or from ebay. The BIOS chip is on socket (if I'm not wrong).
Can you connect a case speaker to the motherboard?

This case does not have a speaker.

I will check into the BIOS chip and see if that works.

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 14, 2012 3:36:14 PM

Be careful handling your motherboard if you want to send it back to asus. They can be picky and downright honery about accepting rma boards. They inspect them carefully, and sometimes find or (claim) damage that you may have missed.
December 14, 2012 3:38:20 PM

o1die said:
Be careful handling your motherboard if you want to send it back to asus. They can be picky and downright honery about accepting rma boards. They inspect them carefully, and sometimes find or (claim) damage that you may have missed.

Okay, thanks for that info.
December 14, 2012 3:40:39 PM

I just felt the BIOS chip and it gets pretty HOT.
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 14, 2012 3:46:02 PM

I highly recommend against touching any board components; I used to work at dell and took their handling course twice. Handle the board around the edges. Avoid touching the chipsets on the board or ram whenever possible. Static discharge damage can happen anytime, and you won't even know it; there's no test for it. Dell makes everyone wear esd straps around the wrist or the shoes in the build areas. Good luck.
!