Sign in with
Your question

My acer 5742g is getting overheated , cant play games .

Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2012 10:01:43 AM

Hello all,
i have an acer 5742G laptop with Intel core i5-480M Nvidia GT 540M , 4GB DDR3 , 500 GB HDD .

my problem is , my laptop getting overheated when i try to play some games , good graphics based . i used to play age of empire 3 , fable 3 with full graphics . even i played w40k spacemarines with high graphics . but now a days if i try to play those my laptop is getting over heated and then automatically shut down .
i dont know why its happening , i keep enough space under laptop to pass air .
i bought this laptop 7 and half months ago , still i've not formatted yet.

can any one tell me what to do?
a c 133 à CPUs
February 10, 2012 10:17:59 AM

From my experence with the I5 480M in my ASUS laptop is that it runs really hot and there is not much you can do for it besides get a cooling pad. The heatsink could be clogged with dust but I doubt it on a 7 month old laptop. I have had some luck with reapplying thermal paste but unless you know what you are doing I do not suggest opening up your lappy.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 9:41:39 PM

Hello,

Had the same problem till today.
Tried two things
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iSNXBHrR3s ..... this way the processor wont use all its power and wont overheat as fast as it did (turned mine on max 90%).
2.Remove the smallest cover on the backside of your laptop and remove the dust (in the cover itself) ,this is the most important thing to do (dont touch something or use liquids inside the laptop).

Hope it worked as well as it did for me.

m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2013 1:15:19 AM

L Helps said:
Hello,

Had the same problem till today.
Tried two things
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iSNXBHrR3s ..... this way the processor wont use all its power and wont overheat as fast as it did (turned mine on max 90%).
2.Remove the smallest cover on the backside of your laptop and remove the dust (in the cover itself) ,this is the most important thing to do (dont touch something or use liquids inside the laptop).

Hope it worked as well as it did for me.

What's under that smallest cover? I removed it in my laptop. It seemed to be an empty chamber. Is something missing or is it normal?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2013 3:44:43 AM

forget about the smallest cover. you just need too reapply thermal paste on the cpu and gpu. my fan/heatsink isn't working like it used to so mine kept overheating but yours must work like it used to when you did it.
m
l
!