Crossfire on a plasma TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2011 11:18:23 PM

Hi, I recently built a pc:

asrock extreme4
2x ati 6950
sandybridge i5

and want to use my 50" plasma tv: TH-50PZ80B

when using my monitor catalyst controller and crossfire works fine but when changing to the tv there are very few options in catalyst controller and all the crossfire things dissapear. Is it possible to use crossfire on the TV ...Do I need a driver?

More about : crossfire plasma

a c 175 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 11:50:38 PM

How are they both hooked up? I wouldn't think CF would disappear, but I could see options going away if you have it hooked up to the 50" via VGA as its not a digital connection.
September 12, 2011 11:55:26 PM

Hi 47, its hooked up with a HDMI cable
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 11:56:27 PM

And the monitor?

An option on the TV perhaps? The display device shouldn't disable CF as far as I know.
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 11:59:40 PM

You don't need CF for 1080 def.
6950 can handle it with ease.
September 13, 2011 12:05:41 AM

I use a dvi cable for the monitor which is older, there are few options on the tv, i'd like to use it to play demanding games and it would be nice to use the crossfire.
a c 164 U Graphics card
a b x TV
September 13, 2011 12:07:09 AM

I assume you are using one of the normal HDMI inputs?

Some HDTV's have a "PC" input which make your TV a monitor, however they may not have full resolution (my dad's Plasma was 1920x1080 but the PC input was only 1366x768).

If the "PC" input is there and offers full resolution support for your TV you may wish to use this. It will also have an audio input grouped, usually a 3.5mm stereo input.

HDMI input:
I'm not aware of any Crossfire issues with HDMI, but I suppose it's possible that it's not compatible. The HDMI input for HDTV's is a different video format from a normal computer monitor.

SOUND:
Be aware that the HDMI output of graphics cards only supports audio codecs for videos like Dolby Digital (AC3) etc. you won't get any GAME sounds which is what I assume you wish to do.

The only ways that I know of to get GAME sounds to a normal TV are:
1) an audio receiver
2) HDTV's PC input (i.e. VGA or DVI + 3.5mm audio)
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2011 12:09:06 AM

maxinexus said:
You don't need CF for 1080 def.
6950 can handle it with ease.

Yes, except for those cases in which a single 6950 can't handle it.
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2011 12:10:22 AM

You might have to set up the numbering system on the Tv/monitors. If the TV is #1 and the monitor is #2, reverse them. Also, you can try using the Clone monitor function where the TV and the monitor will have the exact same resolution and picture.

Also, you can use the tool GPU-z in order to determine if you are in CF mode or not. It is on or off, the monitors should not affect the crossfire setting. You may have lost the settings because the TV is considered "extended display" and not the system display.
September 13, 2011 12:12:52 AM

I don't know how or if this relates to your setup at all, But I have a 40" Samsung LN40A63 LCD TV hooked up to my system.

In the video input configuration menu you can select different names for the various inputs. What's curious about this is that if I select the PC option for one of the inputs it actually changes how the TV interacts with the computer.

If I have it on any other setting the computer reads the TV as a generic Plug-n-Play monitor and CF loses most of it's options. With PC selected for the input title, Windows and CF read the model and serial No. of my TV. CF also has a much wider variety of options available, including options directly referring to my digital flat panel television.

This also fixes an issue with how the image is displayed on the screen. (Before setting the input to PC, about 14 pixels were cropped all around the screeen.)

Hope this helps a bit.
September 13, 2011 12:18:46 AM

I tried the pc output for the tv but it only works for 800x600 resolution otherwise the screen is black.

I am using an audio receiver for sound and it works perfectly.

At the moment I can switch between my monitor and the tv by telling it to only display on one or the other but when it goes to the tv most of the catalyst options disappear.
September 13, 2011 12:35:02 AM

I tried to duplicate the screen but catalyst told me the operation was not supported.

I tried the GPU-Z program which tells me that muti-GPU is enabled, when i start games on my monitor I get the cross-fire symbol in the top-right corner but not when i use the TV.

I did have the 14 pixel issue that I corrected manually, where can i find the video input configuration menu?

I also found that on the TV properties option instead of catalyst control centre its using inter(R) graphics and media control panel, whereas my monitor is using catalyst controller instead. It recognises everything about the TV but nothing in it about crossfire. I have only recently installed the PC and have not put on anything myself from intel.

In display adaptors I have 2 radeon 6900 series and one intel HD graphics family. When I uninstalled the HD graphics family with the TV as main and restarted, win7 put the intel driver back on and according to GPU-Z is using that when I am using the TV. I also get a message when starting up using catalyst controller that catalyst is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adaptor.

I don't actually understand what is happening and why the intel driver is being used and not the radeon one. I tried disabling the intel HD graphics but then I lost the option to switch to the TV so I don't think the radeon ones can detect my plasma TV. Is there a way to override this and make it use the radeon ones?

Appreciate all the help so far, i find pc problem solving hard going.
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2011 5:04:41 PM

hold on, which connections are you using, the ALL video card outputs, or the motherboard's too?
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2011 6:07:20 PM

With NVIDIA cards SLI has to be disabled to use monitors attached to the 2nd GPU, if crossfire is the same (no clue) that might be your problem.
September 14, 2011 1:01:33 AM

Yes that was it, I had it plugged into the HDMI labelled plug rather than the odd looking one on the GPU... Thanks all!

However the screen horizontal and vertical positioning is slightly wrong. Unfortunately the aspect options on the TV are extremely limited, none are available in catalyst (other than over/underscan which didn't get it quite right) when using my TV either and two other programs for correcting this have all said that they are not compatible with the TV (or GPU). I have the resolution set to native: 1080p 1920x1080 60hz

Anyone know a way around this?
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 4:55:14 PM

Yes, I think there is a program called powerstrip that can let you do custom resolutions to fix what's going on. Sometimes changing the resolution to non-native can help as well. I'm sure someone has a better solution though.
!