Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need help with processor

Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2012 12:59:11 PM

Hello, I wnat to know if my CPU is bottlenecking with my GPU. I have Intel® Pentium® Processor G620 (3M Cache, 2.60 GHz) and Nvidia GeForce GTX 550ti, i was playing call of duty black ops in windowed mode at high settings and my cpu usage was 100% (Both cores) and GPU usage was just around 40 to 50% and i was having a laggy gameplay, is my CPU holding back my GPU or is it just the way it is (I don't know much about this stuff).

or should i upgrade my CPU, I am not a hardcore gamer i just play games for fun i don't want to play games at Ultra high settings I am ok with high or medium graphics i am on a tight budget so i was thinking about getting a core i5-2310 bcoz its a quad core but its really hard for me to afford it at this time so i then think about buying core i3-2100 its a dual core but it support hyperthreading so it would work like a quad core (or wouldn't it) does game take advantage of HT ? Will it be worth an upgrade or should i buy i5 i am so confused i mean if i3 would do the job so why go for i5, I play most of the modern games out there (don't really worry about the graphics though i am fine with getting good fps at any graphics possible) so what would you guys suggest.

i really really appreciate any help

thanks in advance

More about : processor

Best solution

a c 95 à CPUs
February 10, 2012 1:16:45 PM

Black Ops is a poorly optimized port, it needs to have a quad core CPU for optimum performance. The i3 would benefit you with higher clockspeeds, but the hyperthreading isn't going to help you, games don't use that feature, and even if they did, hyperthreading is only equal to maybe 20 to 30% of an actual core.

If you do want to upgrade, go for the i5, more games are starting to take advantage of the quads, and it is a bigger jump than the i3, so it is a more worthwhile upgrade as far as general performance is concerned.
Related resources
February 10, 2012 1:43:44 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Black Ops is a poorly optimized port, it needs to have a quad core CPU for optimum performance. The i3 would benefit you with higher clockspeeds, but the hyperthreading isn't going to help you, games don't use that feature, and even if they did, hyperthreading is only equal to maybe 20 to 30% of an actual core.

If you do want to upgrade, go for the i5, more games are starting to take advantage of the quads, and it is a bigger jump than the i3, so it is a more worthwhile upgrade as far as general performance is concerned.

Wow much thanks for fast reply, so is my current processor not letting my GPU to get its highest performance or what ? Is upgrading the only option for me?

PS: If i do upgrade to i5 will there be a noticeable difference in gaming performance and with i5 will my graphics card perform better (I mean with my current processor the usage was 40-50%) so with i5 will it perform better and my games won't lag anymore.

And upgrading to an i3 won't do any good except higher clock rate (i take it) ?
Score
February 10, 2012 2:06:05 PM

probabily yes it is bootlenecking your gpu;
yes certainly your performance will increase in a lot of games, and more drastically in those games that are very CPU dependant;
i3 is not good for gaming, you need quad core for gaming (un-threaded);

i'm not saying they will NOT LAG ANymore, but will allow your graphics card to work normally, also know that not all games the gpu usage is 100% so don't keep looking only to that.
Score
February 10, 2012 2:32:08 PM

Drear Friends, Thanks for answering my questions i realy appreciate your help. I was searching the whole internet for about weeks but i didn't found a good answer to my problem.

now that i know my CPU is really not letting my GPU to do what it can and with an i5 it would really do what its capable of so my current specs are:

Intel® Pentium® Processor G620 (3M Cache, 2.60 GHz)
Intel® Desktop Board DH61WW
4GB RAM DDR III
SEAGATE 250GB 3.5" HDD 8MB Cache
PSU: COOLER MASTER GX SERIES 450W RS-450-ACAA-E3
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Casing: COOLER MASTER CHASSIS CM ELITE 370

So if i upgrade to CORE i5-2320, my PC will be good for gaming and no further upgrades would be needed, and i won't be having any bottlenecking or any other kind of issues ?

Thanks ! For every one's help
Score
February 10, 2012 2:46:01 PM

Best answer selected by prince01.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2012 3:16:57 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!