Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer stopt working after electric outage

Last response: in Components
February 10, 2012 2:07:38 PM

Hi guys,

Yesterday, I was just doing normal stuff on my computer, and suddenly all the electric devices went off. This occured only in my house not in the rest of the neighbourhood. When I checked the electricity cabinet, I saw the RCD went down. And after I switched the electricity back on, my computer stopped working. The only sign of life it shows is when I turn on my computer all the fans begin moving and after 1 sec it stops and switches off. The little green light on the motherboard is still working, So why does it not boot? I've already unplugged everything and left it for a few minutes and plugged the cables back in, This didn't work. What should I do before touching the inside of my computer?

My system (which I built a half year ago)
AMD A8-3850
ASUS F1A75-V EVO MB
Corsair CX600 Watt V2
Corsair Vengeance 4 gig 1600 Mhz
MSI HD6670 1GDDR5
WD Blue 500 G

Any suggestions why my pc just stopped working and why the electricity suddenly went off?

a c 158 ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 2:14:29 PM

I have no idea why your breaker tripped at your house. Did the lights go dim or get really bright before the power went out? Is your computer on a UPS or power strip? If yes, then have you tried swapping it with a different one?

Edit: PSUs are designed to sarifice themselves to save the rest of your PCs compnents. Do you have a PSU tester or a multimemter to test the voltages on your PSU?
Score
February 10, 2012 2:18:04 PM

if you are lucky it is only a problem in the PSU.

i would first try to change the psu Fuse, you can read some tutorials about how to change your psu fuse online:
here is one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_81HagpXk

the video is about the worst case scenario where the fuse is soldered to the board, some psus have a "contact" where you can easily replace it.

you must open and see what you have there
Score
Related resources
February 10, 2012 2:20:40 PM

There were no signs that it was going to happen. I was just sitting behind my pc and suddenly everthing went dark in the house.
No, my pc is not connected to a ups, but it is connected to a power strip. I took my pc downstairs try plug it into a different socket, but same results.
Score
February 10, 2012 2:23:53 PM

So best thing to do is checking my PSU? But it still doesn't give me any hints. I was the only one in the neighbourhood with an electric outage
Score
February 10, 2012 3:04:40 PM

I just tried the PSU test, Appearently my psu doesn't work. I get the same results. The fan begins spinning for a moment and then stops again. I just can't understand how an expensive psu like a this corsair can fail after a half year. Unfortunately I moved to another country, so no warranty for me.
Score
February 10, 2012 3:12:24 PM

like i said, probabily it is just the fuse, it is the safety it cut the energy connection when there is an overvoltage or something like that, so you can try first changing that.
Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 3:56:42 PM

ricardois said:
like i said, probabily it is just the fuse, it is the safety it cut the energy connection when there is an overvoltage or something like that, so you can try first changing that.

A modern active PFC power supply doesn't have a fuse btw.
Score
February 10, 2012 4:10:34 PM

davcon said:
A modern active PFC power supply doesn't have a fuse btw.

sorry my mistake, didn't read the psu model.
Score
February 10, 2012 4:13:15 PM

Should I return the PSU to corsair? or is it cheaper to buy a new one.
Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 4:34:18 PM

Qwerty018 said:
Should I return the PSU to corsair? or is it cheaper to buy a new one.

I would certainly make an effort if its still under warranty.
It will cost you over $20 shipping it to them and that's if you are in N.A.
Score
February 10, 2012 5:39:40 PM

I will try the warranty then. I live in Europe, but the shipping price will be similar (I hope).
Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 5:46:11 PM

Qwerty018 said:
I will try the warranty then. I live in Europe, but the shipping price will be similar (I hope).

Ya dude if the shipping costs prove to be like $30 or more you might be better off selecting a new unit.
Wait and see i guess.
Score
February 10, 2012 6:01:05 PM

Okay thank you for your help
Score
February 12, 2012 10:50:25 AM

Ok, I tried warranty and they said it was probably my fault or the fault of the electricity company. I didn't want to use lots of time for this problem, so I just bought a new one. The OCZ ModXstream PRO 600 Watt, because it's modular and nice and quiet.
Score

Best solution

a c 274 ) Power supply
February 12, 2012 4:31:23 PM

Qwerty018 said:
Ok, I tried warranty and they said it was probably my fault or the fault of the electricity company. I didn't want to use lots of time for this problem, so I just bought a new one. The OCZ ModXstream PRO 600 Watt, because it's modular and nice and quiet.

Nice choice! = i own two of those:) 
You should add a decent surge protector = spend at least $20.
Anything less is a glorified extension cord.
February 14, 2012 2:35:11 PM

Best answer selected by Qwerty018.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2012 6:35:52 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!