Sign in with
Your question

Deciding on 3 different sets of high speed RAM

Last response: in Memory
December 14, 2012 5:58:21 PM

I'm moving to a GA-Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.1/3770K system very soon, so am going to be upgrading RAM along with it since I want to. The three sets in particular I've had my eyes on is the Corsair Dominator Platinum, the Kingston HyperX Predator, and Beast.

The Dominators and Predators seem neck and neck in most benchmarks I could find, from synthetics to encoding. These were the first two I looked at. Then I saw the Beast released...in the end of November or beginning of December? I could only find one benchmark on them, and it was very basic--although the results were good.

Would it be safe to assume that the Beast models will be a slight improvement upon the Predators? Or has anyone had any experience with using them? I will admit though my favorite looking pair are the Dominators, followed by the Predators, and the Beast's are ehh...but that's beside the point :lol: 

Sticking with 2x8GB just in case i ever need to add more in the future. Preferably in the 1866MHz-2400MHz range.
a b } Memory
December 14, 2012 8:18:17 PM

Technically the Predator's are slightly better (at least at 1866) 9-10-19 vs 10-10-10 timings.

I do agree with you on the dominators looking great! When I do my next build I am half considering leaving Kingston for them, but Kingston's support is incredible.
December 14, 2012 11:06:37 PM

I've always known Kingston is easily regarded the best RAM manufacturer by most people, so I've always wanted a pair. Never looked up anything about their CS, but to get where they are today, it obviously has to be top notch.

I think I'm probably gonna get the Predators, tad cheaper and same performance. But if Corsair will finally release the interchangeable LEDs on the Dominators, I may go over the matter again.

I have a friend who actually thinks the Vengeance RAM looks better than the Platinums...blowing my mind -_-
Related resources
a b } Memory
December 15, 2012 8:41:56 PM

Yeah... I have a kit of the vengeance (that I am no longer using) and I really don't like how they look. I currently am using a pair of the HyperX T1's (precursor to the Predator's) and they feel a whole lot better.

And I know what you mean on the interchangeable LED's, that would be very slick.
a b } Memory
December 15, 2012 9:11:57 PM

10hellfire01 said:
I've always known Kingston is easily regarded the best RAM manufacturer by most people

While Kingston's RAM products have always been fairly reliable with a lifetime warranty backing that up, they were often sub-par OC-wise when compared against similarly priced modules until 6-8 years ago.

DRAM quality from the more popular DIMM vendors has gone up evenly across the board since then and we probably have the multiple bankruptcies, mergers and buy-outs of weaker players to thank for that.
December 15, 2012 11:45:28 PM

InvalidError said:
While Kingston's RAM products have always been fairly reliable with a lifetime warranty backing that up, they were often sub-par OC-wise when compared against similarly priced modules until 6-8 years ago.

DRAM quality from the more popular DIMM vendors has gone up evenly across the board since then and we probably have the multiple bankruptcies, mergers and buy-outs of weaker players to thank for that.

True. But I bet when you ask most people, they'll either answer with Kingston or Corsair is their top choice. G.Skill has certainly shot up towards the top and Patriot iirc has always been up there too. Kingston still seems sub-par with overclocking DRAM (benchmarks show the sticks don't like to cooperate). But its not a biggie since you gain minimal performance in most programs between 1600MHz and 2000MHz.

I was maybe going to try and overclock whatever pair I get...but I'm not expecting an awesome success story, like you hear with CPUs. It's something I'd like to do some more for myself...considering at the moment I am FSB limited...
!