CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Ock CPU Cooler

GPU: GeForce GTX580 1.5 GB (evga)

Memory 8gb ddr3/1600 mhz dual channel Corsair xms

Power Supply: Corsair 850TXV2

Fans: Maximum Enermax 120 mm case fans

Harddrive: 1 TB Sata III 6.0 gb/s 32mb cache 7200 rpm

usb 6 port expansion module

Drive: 24x double layer dual format dvdr/rw cd/cdrw

There may be questions I don't know to ask. Here are some I was wondering about.

1. Should I order this 10%, 20%, or 30% overclocked or not at all? I do not want watercooler and only want it to be air cooled.

2. Is Corsair Vengeance memory any better than Corsair xms memory and if so, how much?

3. I'm going with the 580 gtx over 2 gtx560ti's because I am afraid of microstuttering. I looked at this gtx580 and it appears to have dvi out or hdmi out, so I can connect my Sony Bravia 40 inch tv to it as far as I can tell. Am I right to be afraid of microstuttering and am I right on thinking the gtx580 will connect to my tv easily.

4. This computer will come from cyberpower. Is there anywhere else I can get this much for my money? I'm open to other prebuilt suggestions. I cannot build it and have no one to build it.

5. Is it crazy to buy a close to top end spec at any time because I could buy mid grade for 800 now and mid grade in 2.5 years and probably be ahead of the game eh?

Thank you all for your help!

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
in response to #4... yes. yes you can build it yourself. Remember that toy from your childhood that had round blocks and square blocks and triangle blocks and corresponding wholes? ok now that i set your frame of reference... If you mastered that toy you have mastered building a PC. PCI-e cards only fit in PCI-e slots, sata cables... you guessed it sata ports... trust me it's really not as hard as you think it is.

geralt29

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Okay I know I screw in the motherboard to the case. Then I take that kitchen knife or whatever and nearly crack my chip trying to get that freaking cpu cooler on there right? Then I plug in the memory. Plug in the graphics card. Hook up a power supply to all of it (which yes I've done). Oh wait I forgot I have to put that silver paste on the chip to keep it cool don't I? I now hook up the fans.

Okay now I'm lost.

I don't know how to flash a bios or flash the memory or whatever I saw my friend do. Also I've spent nearly 3000 dollars over the years at newegg and my parts didn't seem to work all that well together always. Right now I have a computer at my feet laying on its side with the side tore off of it and a box fan from kmart laying on top of it because I bought a computer from best buy and decided to then change out the powersupply to a higher watt one (since best buy pc's come with low quality low watt power supplies usually). Then I got a 8800gts and put that in there.

Yep the computer was too hot. Then the side of the case came off. Plop on goes the awful box fan. Yes it has been that way for a few years.

I just want something that works. I don't want to build it. I'm afraid of spending 1600 dollars on parts for something I am not 100% sure will go together on my own. Suppose I can't do something that I need to know how to do when I'm putting it together. Sure I've had a little experience but I've also spent a lot of money and had somewhat of a so-so experience going it on my own. And right now I'm out of college and I do not have the techy friend available to do what I don't know how to do. Even then, that first build I spent about 800 bucks on was not impressive. Dell pc's seemed faster even back then. Something about integration was my guess. My parts weren't really working together as well as they could have.

I have a reputation for not being handy and sort of being a disaster prone individual. Anything that looks like I'm building something after spending at least 1400 bucks will freak my wife out. Bad.... It is a no go.

I would give myself an 80% chance I could do it. But it isn't 100%. And after 1400 bucks it would need to be.

If I was at 100% and built it myself I'd change the memory to gskill ripjaw brand, and I would add a ssd.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

check it like this though man. list the parts here and ask people if it sounds good and compatible. I could get you a list of parts given a budget with no problem and ensure that it all works... *** if you lived close to me I would come over and put it together for free even.. I just have through the years seen people turn to places like cyber power and while they do make pretty nice machines they are generally overpriced

geralt29

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
That was the parts list. I think Cyberpower is charging around 200 bucks or so to put together that pc. That doesn't seem like a lot to me. Ibuypower seems like they have less reputation, and alienware is very expensive and doesn't seem to give you much bang for your buck. Newegg systems get sold out and seem less appealing right now. Tigerdirect doesn't seem to have much either.

1600 to 1875 is my budget.

geralt29

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Okay #3 is my priority. 2 GTX560ti's or 1 580?

Wait a second. Hmm.. Naw too scary. Prebuilt is where I posted.

I did look over at the cyberpower 2k pc thread.

Honestly newegg + me so far has never been a good deal in the past. Why would it be now?

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
that's a good question about the nvidia cards and I don't know but I'm pretty confident two 560 ti will out perform one 580, but don't forget to make sure you have enough power for it... ie that 650 in the DIY kit may not be enough

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.752662 <-- 580 bucks needs added vid card... only 4 gb ram, BUT performance difference between 4gb and 8gb is negligeble could be the beast you're looking for with the 500$ vid card you're looking at maybe 1200 after shipping if you want hit me up in a PM I'm 100% confident I can help you along your way to building your first monster rig ever... once you do you will never go back to buying a vendor made pc again

Can't get behind ya case, not when these is $5 cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129100

nor the MoBo (chinsy warranty)

I have had better success with the Thermaltake Silver Arrow than the Frio

The Vengeance low profile (no tall toothy heat sinks) are the best buy in RAM at the moment.

I'm going with the 580 gtx over 2 gtx560ti's because I am afraid of microstuttering.

Will be building my 5th twin 560 (900MHz) box this weekend....not seen any microstuttering yet.

If you read the manuals, you should have no trouble building a PC. Download the manuals the day you order, print them, put in a 3 ring binder, read them each day while you waiting for parts to arrive.