Sign in with
Your question

Monitor won't show, PC turns on fine.

Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2011 5:55:09 PM

Hi, I recently built a rig and did what I thought were all the correct steps to successfully put together a computer. I have read on this site that I should try breadboarding before going any further, which I am about to do. But I wanted to post me specs here and ask that they are all compatible with each other.

processor: AMD phenom II quad core 830
motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P
GPU: Gigabyte AMD RADEON HD 6670 1GB DDR3
PSU: Antec High urrent gamer 620w

Is there anything that could be bottlenecking my system?

I'm going to breadboard and post results aswell.
November 10, 2011 6:53:45 PM

Your motherboard has built in graphics so is it possible that you are plugging your display cable into that and not your video card? If you aren't then i would suggest taking out your video card and try running it with the onboard graphics on your motherboard. This should help determine if its a video card issue or not. I would just try this first and if it works with the onboard graphics then you might want to go into the BIOS and turn off onboard graphics and try your video card again.
m
l
November 10, 2011 7:00:18 PM

When you say PC turns on fine, do you get the single beep indicating that you had successful BIOS post?
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2011 7:06:38 PM

I did a breadboard test and here are some results.

When testing I heard no beeps as opposed to when I would turn the system on inside the case I would here a beep on startup.

I started the system with no video card and still I got no display.

I tried all possible RAM combinations and still no display.

All fans of video card, heatsink, and PSU still spin.

Wierdest thing to me, was that I heard no beeps when breadboarding. When everything was in the case I would here beeps. Also, I did plug the speaker cord into the MOBO while breadboarding to be able to hear beeps. Still none.

Any ideas?

Oh, and neither the keyboard or mouse light up when I turn the system on.

And When I was testing I never plugged the HDD or CD-ROM in should I try that?

I tried turning it on with the HDD and CD-ROM and it appears that the only beeps I'm hearing are coming from the CD drive or the HDD. So what could this mean? bad MOBO?
m
l
November 11, 2011 12:27:08 AM

Anyone?

sorry for double post
m
l
November 11, 2011 1:43:53 AM

Make sure the cpu power connector is plugged in. (the one with 4 or 8 pins)

m
l
November 11, 2011 2:15:16 AM

Yeah, that is connected too.
m
l
November 11, 2011 2:20:33 AM

If it works when it's not in the case, then that means you forgot to install the little brass standoff nuts that separate the motherboard from the case. The motherboard could be shorting itself with the metal case.
m
l
November 11, 2011 7:30:10 PM

malt said:
When everything was in the case I would here beeps.

So when everything was in the case, did you hear MULTIPLE beeps, or one NORMAL beep? And did these beeps come from the case speaker or were these beeps from the CD drive or HDD?

Also, did you try a different monitor to rule that out as well?
m
l
November 14, 2011 3:15:05 PM

The beeps I've heard are coming from the HDD and CD drive I have determined. This means I have no sound coming from the MOBO whatsoever. And I did plug in the speaker cord from the case to be able to hear sounds, but still nothing. Only when the CD drive and HDD are plugged in.

I did try a different monitor.

And I am using standoffs as well.
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:12:24 PM

Seems to me like your motherboard is shot.

Can you look at your motherboard manual to see what it says about beeps? Most motherboards will do certain beeps to tell you that there is a problem with the CPU, memory, etc. If you're getting no beeps whatsover that seems like a motherboard problem to me.
m
l
November 16, 2011 2:05:07 PM

That's what I'm thinking.

Man that's so lame.

Cause this same exact thing happened to me on a same exact motherboard which I bought for the same exact build right before this. Third Gigabyte motherboard replacement here I come.

Thank you all for the help, it's much appreciated.
m
l
November 16, 2011 4:33:48 PM

One more thing I was thinking, could it possibly be that my RAM is incompatible? I have some Micro Center DDR3-1333 4GB RAM in there. I was looking on my motherboard's website and found that it isn't listed in the supported RAM page for my motherboard. Although this RAM is sort of an off-brand type, could this be a problem?
m
l
!