Gotmilkman

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hello, I'm making this thread here just to ask for some help or even an opinion.
Let me get started.

My computer recently has been going through a stage of lockups. By lockups I mean I get a black screen, and then it will rev my fans harder and nothing happens. This only happens while I'm in a game such as swtor or skyrim (Hasn't happened on skyrim for a week now.)
Here's the catch. My psu was recently switched from 115v to 230v (gotta love kids) It melted two pieces to the motherboard, what melted was my 24 power prong. It cooked two prongs, however when this all happened it would just turn on for a moment or two and shut off, then on and off. When I found out it was the psu that had cooked to that power prong on my motherboard I cleaned it off to where it was actually reusable. After cleaning everything off and reattaching the psu to the mb it worked great, it seems like yesterday though I started getting lock ups again and today.

I'm running a raidmax 730w (Urgg Yes... raidmax) and 2 250 gts, which I just recently pulled one out to lower how much power is actually being pulled. My top 250 card would get up to 90-95c some days. Which I know is to hot. But now I removed one of the cards and have a nice fan blowing on it to keep it under 60c(sometimes it will get 65c depending on the load.) But I'm still getting lockups.

Is this my psu? Or a card starting to take its toll?

I recently just ordered a 590 GTX (Loved the benchmark test you guys had on the 590, and 6990)
and am about to order either a kingwin 1000w psu or maybe a Cooler Master psu.

Does anyone have a word of advice on this subject?

-On a side note, I have fully looked at my motherboard looking for signs that it may have been damaged by the 230v trying to shoot through it, but I can see no signs, I'm running a EVGA P55 SLI motherboard which seems to be running strong.

Heres my specs if you need them.

Motherboard - EVGA P55 SLI
Ram - Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333
Graphics - Was two 250 gts (1GB each card) Now One 250 gts (1GB)
PSU - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W
Processor - i5 750
Case - RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black

One more thing I will state here because I'm sure it's bound to be asked.
I have not overclocked anything on this computer whats so ever.

Thanks for reading my post.
- Gotmilkman

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 590 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 50 Amps or greater and that has at least two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 590 graphics cards in 2-way Quad SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 1100 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 81 Amps or greater and that has at least four 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

If you would have purchased a proper PSU initially (i.e. one that has automatic input voltage detection, obvious by the lack of a voltage switch) the problem would have been prevented.

The melting of the connector was caused by the attempt to draw twice as much electrical current through those two melted connections which were never meant to handle that amount of current.

The Kingwin Lazer Platinum Series 1000W (LZP-1000), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 83 Amps and with its six (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, meets the minimum requirement to power a system with two GeForce GTX 590 in 2-way Quad SLI mode.

LZP-1000 good reputable reviews:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=271
http://hardocp.com/article/2012/01/04/kingwin_lzp1000_1000w_power_supply_review/

I would avoid any of the other the Kingwin 1000W or greater models (i.e. Lazer Gold, Lazer, Mach 1, MK Series, KX Series).

The Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W (RS-A00-80GA-D3) or 1200W (RS-C00-80GA-D3) models are the only two Cooler Master models worthy of consideration.

Gotmilkman

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Okay so the Kingwin 1000w Kx-1000 I was looking at is horrible, then what would you consider? I'm looking for a psu in the 100-180 range. I've already spent a great deal. Everyone keeps telling me kingwin, but you say they're bad pretty much, and then our city tech nerd says cooler master, but he didn't tell me what series.

I don't know where you're purchasing from or what is available where you live but the following is representative of very good power supply models.

For a single GeForce GTX 590 in your system configuration:

Corsair Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) $149.00 ($139.00 after mail-in rebate card)
• +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps
• four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
• Semi-Modular output cables
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series 750W (CAPSTONE-750) $119.99
• hard-wired Non-Modular output cables
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182073

SeaSonic X Series X-650 Gold (SS-650KM Active PFC F3) $139.99
• +12 Volt continuous current rating of 54 Amps
• Fully-Modular output cables
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

XFX ProSeries 750W XXX Edition (P1-750B-NLG9) $129.99 ($99.99 after mail-in rebate card)
• Semi-Modular output cables
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207016

For two GeForce GTX 590 in 2-way Quad SLI in your system configuration:

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W (PPCMK2S950) $149.00 ($129.99 after mail-in rebate card)
• +12 Volt continuous current rating of 83.4 Amps
• six (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
• hard-wired Non-Modular output cables
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703028

Gotmilkman

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm going to go with the PC Power and Cooling Silencer. One day I will sli my 590, but not for a long time. It's 950 watt rated but can do 1000, 80+ Silver, and very quiet. So I think that will be my direction. However its cable clustered and I have a mid tower, so I guess I'll be hiding what I don't use.

Gotmilkman

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Last question for this thread from me, Which tower do you suggest? I hear these 590 gtx card run hot so I'd like to get either better air flow or go liquid cooling, except liquid cooling is one thing I've never done nor do I know what all I will need for that.

TRENDING THREADS