Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this worth the pricetag?

Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2011 6:54:48 PM

Hello,

I've been looking for a cheapie notebook for school. Since I don't want to do much with it, I've been looking for something in the $100 range. I figured if it can run office software and firefox then it's OK if its a beast. Well, I found the following system on a local online classified site...

Acer Extensa 4630Z
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2GHZ
14" display, 1280x800 res
2GB Memory
120GB Hard drive.
CD/DVD R/W
Operating System Ubuntu 11.04 clean install
canvas carrying case

The asking price is $150, and I'm told that everything works. I don't have a problem with it running Ubuntu (my desktop dual boots Kubuntu 11.04 after all) and I imagine there's a Vista (ick) sticker on it somewhere if I want to use windows.

The seller will let me play with it first. Does this sound like a good deal? It seems Acers are fairly reliable - is this true? I couldn't find many issues with this model in google.

Most laptops I've found locally that are $100-150 are P4s. Which kind of makes me wonder what's wrong... or if it's just the linux OS.

Any advice on what to do in my test run other than checking USB ports, wifi and the cd burner along with cosmetic things?

Thanks in advance!

More about : worth pricetag

November 10, 2011 7:15:03 PM

Be careful about online classifieds. What you pay is what you get in most cases.
m
l
November 10, 2011 7:22:44 PM

It's a little out of your price range at $250 but I just bought a great netbook at Costco. A real steal IMHO.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=116777...|84|56670&N=4047229 4294965745&Mo=6&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

It's already sold out on line but I believe it's available in stores also.
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2011 7:28:37 PM

It is great that the seller will let you use it first because in a lot of situations you have to buy the thing and then see how it is when you get it and if there is something wrong with it you are left fighting with the seller over a refund. I would say that for you and what you want it for it's a good deal and you should try it out. There aren't many opportunities to get a laoptop for $100.
m
l

Best solution

November 12, 2011 4:23:52 AM

For the price, the specs are great. However, bring a friend with you. Meet in a public area, such as the parking lot of a major retailer (like wal-mart). Be warned: Acer sucks. Not going to say that laptop may have issues, but I hate Acer. Trying to get their laptops fixed blows as they have poor support for drivers and the like if you try to re install Windows. You might have better luck than me... Be prepared to buy it a new battery if you plan on using it unplugged. Most laptop batteries only last 2 years (in my experience).
December 25, 2011 4:48:54 PM

Best answer selected by eflan.
m
l
!