Replacing case USB2.0 with USB3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Can i replace my case's USB2.0 with a USB3.0? my case( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-034-NX&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=35 ) came with two USB ports, one is blue which i know is 3.0 and the other is black which i know is 2.0. And i want to make them both 3.0s, so if anyone knows how to could u tell me, or maybe do u have a tutorial anywhere? also where could i buy the port itself and its cable? i know i could just buy a Card reader with another USB3.0 port, but i would really like to make them both 3.0 on the case.

CDdude55

Distinguished
Don't beilve it's possbile to turn a 2.0 port into a 3.0 port, it'd just be best to buy an adapter. I beileve the pinout that connects the ports to the motherboard on 3.0 has more then 2.0.

Nope it's impossible to change USB2.0 to 3.0.
Like mentioned above you could add a usb3.0 front port adapter bracket.
Works best if your mobo has a usb3.0 header.
Otherwise you have to run cables to the rear usb3.0 ports.

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
really? no way? can't i just open the whole of my case up take the USB 2.0 out with its cables, and put a 3.0 and connect its cables where the 2.0 was? i don't mean turn the same port into a 3.0, i mean more like replacing it with a 3.0

BTW i dont have any components but the case yet, i'm waiting for ivy bridge.

And mangle your case fp interface = really bad idea!
I could be wrong!
Maybe you're an electronics whiz with pcb boards and soldering irons.
idk.

you cant turn usb 2.0 into 3.0 as said

but yes you can replace the case io ports

just upgraded mine from usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 on my silverstone raven rv02

but you must have a usb 3.0 header on the motherboard to do it

whats your motherboard make and model number?

i used this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-i-o-port-usb-30-module-800-mm-for-ft02-rv02-ps02ps04-sg03sg04sg05sg07-gd04gd05

comes with the cables to connect to motherboard usb 3.0 header as well even though its not shown in the

picture or description

though you would need one from your case manufacturer or need to mod the case to fit that one if nxzt dont

do one for that case

edit--just noticed you dont have the components yet--so if you get a motherboard with a usb 3.0 header then yes you can do it

akopp21

Jul 21, 2010

The OP, it looks like those kits still only have one of the USB ports as 3.0, OP was asking about changing it so they are both 3.0.

yeah--my bad--only one usb 3.0 on it the others a esata

though its still possible to do what he wants--just needs nzxt to release a 2 usb 3.0 version

or may need the dremel to make the one i used fit :D

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
alright, i shall try contacting NZXT(don't even know how to yet) so maybe they can just give me(or sell) the USB3.0 port, or maybe pushing them to making a double USB3.0 upgrade kit. and if they don't do either, i guess i shall ask mcnumpty23 for loads of help lol

I don't think I'd try that. What are you doing that requires the use of 2 USB3 ports at the same time?
well i'm not doing anything that requires it, and i still don't even have it as a computer, atm its just a black & orange case with loads of fans in it. i just would like to make them both 3.0 since 3.0 has backwards compatibility, which means i don't have to worry or look or anything(lol sounds lazy), but i just want my pc t be on top of everything :na:

USB port modules certainly can be upgraded, I did it on a load of Antec cases when USB2 came out just after I did a large number of builds. I contacted Antec and they sent me replacement case modules (no charge). I disassembled the case front, took out the old modules and replaced them with the new ones.

If you look at many of the "old favorite" cases on the market, you will see them with a "V" suffix....two in point are listed below:

Antec 902 V3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129097
Antec 1200 V3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129100

The "V3" indicates the cases have front USB3.0 whereas the older ones w/o the "V3" designation have USB 2.0

I'd contact your case manufacturer and offer to buy the parts for the upgrade. Maybe they will send for free as Antec did in my case years back.

Two qualifiers....

1. Neither the USB 3 port you have or the one you add will be worth beans if ya MoBo doesn't have USB3 headers to feed them with

2. The USB module may be a different size than the two making this effort a bit more complicated than you'd like to undertake.....especially since it appears ya have no USB thingies to plug into it.

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
ye i just sent a enquiry asking if i could purchase these parts as well as another fan which came with my case that had orange LEDs and i cant find the same orange fan on their website. well i hope they would end up sending them for free, that would be very nice.

Neither the USB 3 port you have or the one you add will be worth beans if ya MoBo doesn't have USB3 headers to feed them with
I havent bought my motherboard yet, but ill make sure it can support it. the motherboard i'm keen on buying is the ASUS p8z68-v pro gen 3, which im quite sure should be a very good motherboard, and i think it does have usb 3.0 support.

Status
Not open for further replies.