INTEL CORE i3 2100 3.10Ghz (3MB CACHE) Good enough ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prince01

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Hi all, I want to ask about core i3 HT technology, that it has 2 cores but i read some where that windows will recognize it as a quad-core cpu, i wanna ask you in terms of gaming, will games be running on 2 cores or 4 cores? or if it even does not perform as a true quad core, would it work as at least a tri-core cpu, and if it will be enough for modern games in medium-high graphics, i am not a hardcore gamer i just want to play games at whatever settings but with good fps i am fine with medium to high graphics (Resolution: 1366*768, because its the highest my monitor can handle) so i don't have a budget for quad core i5, I currently have an Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz and GeForce GTX 550 Ti but when i play games my cpu usage goes to exact 100% and GPU usage just around 40-50% and even those games which needs lower end graphics card runs with lags so i am assuming that my CPU is holding my GPU back, so i don't know what should i do should i upgrade my CPU to get the full benefit of my Graphics card, would upgrading from G620 to core i3 will be worth a upgrade or will i be just wasting my money, and with i3 will my GPU perform as it should ? and the usage of CPU and GPU will be balanced.

PS: When i run the benchmark with 3dmark05 it does 3 GPU tests in which fps was going like 100-200 and when it ran 2 CPU tests fps hardly reached 20 fps it was like 10-15 fps at most.

Thanks in advance for any help i really appreciate any help, i have been searching for like weeks but i didn't find a good answer. I hope that you guys would help me.

prince01

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks brother for such a quick and great reply so if i get i3 2100 with my gtx 550 ti then i won't be needing any other upgrade ? and the i3 won't bottleneck with my GPU? and will my GPU perform at its peak ?

seumas_beathan

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Wrong, The price difference between the 2100 and the i5 2500k is very small but the performance increase is huge so therefore the 2500k is the best budget gaming processor

prince01

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Haha :na: that i already knew. I mean you can't stick with the same system for years these days because the technology is growing very fast i just wanted to do some gaming as i am not a regular gamer i just want to play games when i have free time so upgrading to a quad core i5 or any high end GPU like 560 or 570 or even 580 will be useless for me i just wanted to know that by upgrading my processor i won't be wasting my money i mean if its not worth a upgrade form G620 so why waste money and moreover i don't do much gaming but at least i want to take full advantage of my current GPU its like i buy that GPU for nothing if its efficiency is not fully usable with that processor.

Well Thanks for helping me out so guess i'll be upgrading my G620 to core I3-2100. To enjoy my GPU performance.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

The lesson this evening, fellow PC enthusiasts, is that the i5-2500K is not a budget-level processor. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.