Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Static Scare

Last response: in Motherboards
December 15, 2012 12:11:03 AM

Hello, over the past few months I've been slowly collecting parts for my first computer build (I know, I should've waited until I had all my parts)

But back in September, I installed my motherboard into my case without using a antistatic band but I was touching my metal computer case. I'm really scared that the static will affect my motherboard or computer entirely and mess something up on first boot.

Do I really need to be worried? Is there a way to discharge any static electricity that is on my motherboard currently? <No pun intended there

Specs are ASRock Z77 Pro-4M if that helps any.

More about : static scare

a c 1163 V Motherboard
December 15, 2012 12:13:19 AM

I have never used a strap and always just made sure not to work on carpeted floors and touching metal parts of the case before any electronic parts.
m
l
December 15, 2012 12:15:01 AM

rolli59 said:
I have never used a strap and always just made sure not to work on carpeted floors and touching metal parts of the case before any electronic parts.

I don't think it matters too much but I had socks/sweatpants on when I did work on the computer and there were some clothes on my floor, would that have been a problem? Also, as said, I kept touching my case periodically (every 15 seconds or so) as a precaution. I was working on a hardwood dresser when I installed it all.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1163 V Motherboard
December 15, 2012 12:16:11 AM

lucarai said:
I don't think it matters too much but I had socks/sweatpants on when I did work on the computer and there were some clothes on my floor, would that have been a problem? Also, as said, I kept touching my case periodically (every 15 seconds or so) as a precaution. I was working on a hardwood dresser when I installed it all.

I do not think you have anything to worry about!
m
l
December 15, 2012 12:25:32 AM

I'm still worried it would've built up over time or something and when I turn it on it'd react with the Power supply's electricity and make the power supply blow :/ //
m
l

Best solution

a c 1163 V Motherboard
December 15, 2012 12:26:34 AM

As soon as you plug in the power supply it is grounded!
December 15, 2012 12:31:09 AM

rolli59 said:
As soon as you plug in the power supply it is grounded!

You have no idea how stupid I feel right now
m
l
December 15, 2012 12:31:15 AM

Best answer selected by lucarai.
m
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
December 15, 2012 12:33:32 AM

lucarai said:
You have no idea how stupid I feel right now

No worries, would not make it into the top 25%. Better safe than sorry!
m
l
!