Solved

Static Scare

Hello, over the past few months I've been slowly collecting parts for my first computer build (I know, I should've waited until I had all my parts)

But back in September, I installed my motherboard into my case without using a antistatic band but I was touching my metal computer case. I'm really scared that the static will affect my motherboard or computer entirely and mess something up on first boot.

Do I really need to be worried? Is there a way to discharge any static electricity that is on my motherboard currently? <No pun intended there

Specs are ASRock Z77 Pro-4M if that helps any.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about static scare
  1. I have never used a strap and always just made sure not to work on carpeted floors and touching metal parts of the case before any electronic parts.
  2. rolli59 said:
    I have never used a strap and always just made sure not to work on carpeted floors and touching metal parts of the case before any electronic parts.

I don't think it matters too much but I had socks/sweatpants on when I did work on the computer and there were some clothes on my floor, would that have been a problem? Also, as said, I kept touching my case periodically (every 15 seconds or so) as a precaution. I was working on a hardwood dresser when I installed it all.
  3. lucarai said:
    I don't think it matters too much but I had socks/sweatpants on when I did work on the computer and there were some clothes on my floor, would that have been a problem? Also, as said, I kept touching my case periodically (every 15 seconds or so) as a precaution. I was working on a hardwood dresser when I installed it all.

I do not think you have anything to worry about!
  4. I'm still worried it would've built up over time or something and when I turn it on it'd react with the Power supply's electricity and make the power supply blow :///
  5. Best answer
    As soon as you plug in the power supply it is grounded!
  6. rolli59 said:
    As soon as you plug in the power supply it is grounded!

You have no idea how stupid I feel right now
  7. Best answer selected by lucarai.
  8. lucarai said:
    You have no idea how stupid I feel right now

No worries, would not make it into the top 25%. Better safe than sorry!
Ask a new question

Read More

ASRock Computer Motherboards