Psu 8-pin 6-pin psu connectors for 3- hd7990

ashevillain52

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Hello, I'm looking for a PSU with 6 PCIe 8pin connectors, and the same compliment of PCIe 6-pin connectors to power (3)HD7990s at 300W each. I'm planning a new build and coming up empty. Any suggestions?

You will definately need a minnimum of a 1400W PSU. Which aren't exactly cheap. As well you will definately want to get a gold certified PSU to drive such expensive chips.

Actually I dont even know if you can find that many PCi-e connectors on a single PSU.

You might even have to jerry-rig 2 PSU's for that kind of set up.

Just question - but why do you want 3 7990's? I don't think even the highest performing CPU can even supply that many.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256054

Thats the cloesest thing i could find for what you need (doesn't have all the connectors you need though).

I would be wary about using a molex to 8 pin PCI-e adapter for such expensive equipment. However this might be better than the dual PSU set up I mentioned.

We would really need to see the power draws of the 7990 to tell whether or not those adapters would be ok (and which PSU it would go well with).

ashevillain52

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks, Chainzsaw! I'll be using the machine for photorealistic renderings of the effects of different lighting technologies on architectural structures. I was looking at using the dual Xeon EVGA SR3 Super Record, which says it supports 4 way SLI (assuming CrossfireX, too). The Strider ST-1500 only has 4/4 of 8/6, so probably a second ST-1500 will be needed. I think I found a cable that will allow me to sync them.

Thanks, again, for pointing me in the right direction.

Three Radeon HD 7990 in 3-way HEX-CrossfireX?

That's not going to happen. There is a maximum limit of four GPUs that the driver will support.

The Radeon HD 7990 is a dual-GPU card so you'll only be able to use two of them in 2-way QUAD-CrossfireX mode.