Accidentally broke a capacitor on graphics board...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanmel97

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hi to all......!!! :)

I just accidentally broke a capacitor off the graphics board of my Nvidia Geforce2 (I know this card is too old) while I was dusting off the inside of the cpu case :whistle: ........I immediately turned the damn thing on and guess what......it actually worked!!! :bounce: ......but here is my question....since the capacitor broke off, I've been starting to notice that the gpu is really running HOT!!! :sol: ......and when I try to OC it, it usually crashes unlike before :non: ....what do you think I should do?

Please help me!

Solution

It's not RANDOM. The capacitor has a polarity (+/-) and you just have to check which way you attach it (it's marked both on the board and the capacitor).

ivanmel97

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Wait.....does that mean I have 50% chance of successfully soldering it back to normal and 50% chance of blowing this damn thing up.........I'll better stay with it then......I think I could use water cooling for this......BTW, I think the capacitor I broke regulates the gpu voltage....does that mean I'm getting more voltage than usual (since it runs hotter)?.....

and I almost forgot..thanks for your replies!!!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

It's not RANDOM. The capacitor has a polarity (+/-) and you just have to check which way you attach it (it's marked both on the board and the capacitor).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.