Treo 650 crashes when bluetoothing to 2005 BMW 330ci

Last response: in Technologies
February 10, 2005 12:50:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.autos.bmw (More info?)

Hi
I bought a Treo 650, usa sprint pcs version,
installed the palm car kit patch found in palmOne site:
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo650sprint/

and paired it up successfully with the 2005 bmw 330ci.

When I make a call, the Treo crashes shortly after the call is
answered...
I get to hear the person answering "hello.." and right after that, the
Treo crashes and auto-reboots.

Has anyone got this working with this combination of car/phone?

Thanks!
Tony
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 9:25:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.autos.bmw (More info?)

UPDATE:

Treo 650 crashes and resets itself when bluetoothing to my '05 330ci.

When checking the treo's internal log for the last system error log (
##377# on the phone ) it states:
A reset was caused on while running "Phone": Fatal Exception

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Tony
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:14:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.autos.bmw (More info?)

you might want to also ask over at alt.cellular.sprintpcs
February 11, 2005 11:15:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.autos.bmw (More info?)

Updates:
With CrashPro I was able to get more info on the system crash:

Crash was caused by error "MemoryMgr.c, Line:3721, NULL handle
while running BtDeviceLibrary 1.2
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:18:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.autos.bmw (More info?)

In article <1108057806.140642.253160@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
testradav_antispam@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi
> I bought a Treo 650, usa sprint pcs version,
> installed the palm car kit patch found in palmOne site:
> http://www.palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo650sprint/
>
> and paired it up successfully with the 2005 bmw 330ci.
>
> When I make a call, the Treo crashes shortly after the call is
> answered...
> I get to hear the person answering "hello.." and right after that, the
> Treo crashes and auto-reboots.
>
> Has anyone got this working with this combination of car/phone?
>
> Thanks!
> Tony

The BMW is not on Palmone's list of supported cars.

List of Supported Carkits

* MobileEase car kit from Peiker Acoustics, used in Ford, Lincoln and
Mercury cars
* HandsFreeLink TM car kit from Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI) used in
Honda and Acura cars
* UConnect car kit from Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI) used in Jeep,
Chrysler and Dodge cars
* Integrated car kit used in Audi vehicles with Bluetooth technology
* DriveBlue Installation-free Bluetooth car Kit from Parrot
* CK3000 Bluetooth handsfree kit from Parrot
* CK3100 Bluetooth handsfree kit from Parrot
* Anycom HCC-110 headset car kit
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 4:59:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.autos.bmw (More info?)

Anybody know if PalmOne has plans on a further update to their
BlueTooth software to enable connection with the BMW Bluetooth adapter?
If they can do it with Honda, Acura, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury, Jeep.
etc., they should make it work with BMW
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 9:27:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.autos.bmw (More info?)

I asked them at the CES show and they said NO they did not have any plans...
I tried several times since then and got nowhere. Neither BMW or Sprint was
any help either. I finally went on e-bay and bought a SE t-608 phone and it
works great!!! Sprint is not carrying any BT compatable phones and I really
wanted to get the TREO but now I am happy until my contract ends and then I
am going to switch to CINGULAR or T-Mobile... both of them have BT capable
phones and they also both support data transfer from my laptop.

Gary
February 19, 2005 11:30:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.autos.bmw (More info?)

PalmOne introduced that flagship phone in a shameful way. No
voicedialing, terrible compliance with Bluetooth, major hardware and
firmware bugs, and incredibly low memory.

The company is expanding car coverage and has already released one patch
- I guess your BMW (Parrot?) isn't there yet. Neither is the Prius,
though owners have found a way to pair them effectively and reliably,
and the only feature lost is signal strength indicator.

Visit mytreo.net and treocentral to find people who have encountered
your problem - and if you're lucky someone has solved it.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 7:02:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.autos.bmw (More info?)

In article <1108331984.222956.31990@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Larryg" <l.glazerman@rcn.com> wrote:

> Anybody know if PalmOne has plans on a further update to their
> BlueTooth software to enable connection with the BMW Bluetooth adapter?
> If they can do it with Honda, Acura, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury, Jeep.
> etc., they should make it work with BMW

Don't hold your breath.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:11:21 PM

I had the same problem of the Treo 650 crashing after it connected with
the BMW Bluetooth car kit. On the advice of PalmOne support, I hard
reset the Treo and then tried to connect. It worked! I was able to make
a call and it did not crash. I am going through the process of
determing what the offending setting or app is. I post it here once I
find it.

--
waded
March 3, 2005 10:31:04 AM

I hard reset the device. I loaded all of the apps and settings from Hot
Sync. It crashed once again when it connected to the BMW ULF. I hard
rest the Treo again, and I only answered the language, setup the
keyboard and touchscreen, and entered the time. I was able to make and
receive calls with the BMW ULF. I then configured some of the favorites
buttons. It crashed. It seems that configuring the favorites buttons
changes something that then causes the Treo to crash while connected to
the BMW ULF. Anybody have any ideas about what exactly the favorites
updates? Wherever the data is stored must be interfering with the
Handsfree or Bluetooth application. The system error log reports: "A
reset was caused on 3/3/05 at 8:10 AM while running "Handsfree": Fatal
Exception. Does anybody know of any tools to run on the Treo to
actually trace the OS and/or the apllication to see what it is doing.
THe error message reported is pretty obvious. I'm going to call PalmOne
technical support again (when I have an hour to hold for the next
available technician) and see if they have any insight. On a good note,
they do say they will be coming out with a Bluetooth update that will
hopefully adress these issues.

--
waded
March 3, 2005 11:28:37 AM

It does seem to be the favorites buttons. I tried many combinations of
setting them up and it seems to be when you create a favorites buttona
nd you click on more and add extra digits to dial automatically. It
didn't seem to have a problem with just 1 button with extra digits, but
when I added 2 it started crashing again. I am going to try and re-sync
to my original config with all of the apps and settings and then remove
the extra digits from the 2 favorites buttons I added them to. I'll
post the results. Does everyone else that is having this problem also
have favorites buttons configured with extra digits?

--
waded
March 3, 2005 12:38:34 PM

I was able to get the Treo 650 working with my 2004 BMW 330ci ULF
Bluetooth car kit. I deleted the extra digits on 2 of my favorites
buttons (Speed Dial) and the Treo 650 works with the car kit. I'm going
to report this to PalmOne and hopefully they will produce a patch.

--
waded