Sign in with
Your question

Freezing at start of win7 installation

Last response: in Systems
November 11, 2011 2:33:46 AM

I just built my first PC ever. After finally getting everything up and running, I made it into the BIOS! I was so excited. Within the BIOS, I'm able to navigate through well with mouse and keyboard and having no video/graphical hiccups.

However, while attempting to install Windows 7, I am experiencing a "freeze" at the very beginning of install at the "Install Windows 7" screen. The image displayed on the screen is a window asking that I input language and time preferences. When inputting into the keyboard or attempting to utilize the mouse, I get no response on the monitor. I am concerned that this may be a graphics related issue or perhaps there is something wrong with the copy of Windows 7 I am using.

Being new to building PCs, I'm not too positive of all the ins and outs. I've done days of research, but I know I have a lot to learn. Would it even be possible for the GPU to display the BIOS perfectly but fail once I attempt to install the OS? Or is it likely a bad copy of the OS?

System Specs:

ASUS M5A97 Mobo
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE w/stock cooler CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD6870 1GB GPU
8 GB DDR3 G. Skill RAM

Lite-ON OEM CD/DVD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Corsair Builder Series 500W PSU
Cooler Master Elite 310 Case

Using an ACER LED Monitor and Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo
November 11, 2011 2:43:34 AM

Is your hard drive listed as a SATA drive in BIOS?
Related resources
November 11, 2011 3:12:15 AM

Just wanted to update that I've taken out and re-secured the GPU yet again and everything is definitely secured properly. I booted once more with a positive one-beep from the system speaker, and ran through the BIOS checking everything.

Again, freezing when I attempt to install Windows 7, stalling on the "Install Windows" language and time preferences window.

A note to make here is: it sounds as if the CD/DVD drive is working properly here. I keep hearing it read and reread the disc randomly (as if it is awaiting input or reading data that it "wants" to install).

At this point, I'd like to ask, where in the BIOS can I check to see if the video card is being detected/performing properly?
November 11, 2011 4:12:37 AM

Its very unlikely to be a graphics problem . Its POSTING .

The next thing to check is the voltage and timing of the RAM . Make sure that its set to its spec
November 11, 2011 4:24:14 AM

Yes. The RAM is set correctly.
November 11, 2011 6:04:35 AM

Define freeze please. Stuttering image and/or sound?
Everything works perfectly up to the point you mentioned and while, let's say, you were moving your mouse it stopped and computer froze? BSOD?
Usually all this is memory related but memory has the bad habit of constant BSOD. You say you got 8gb but how many sticks? Which banks? Try changing them with eachother, try one stick on one bank then another or another bank, see if you can narrow the problem down.
November 11, 2011 6:21:19 AM

To clarify, the freezing is as follows: while the screen is loading the Windows 7 ball things that turn into the logo, it cuts it about 1 second short, goes to the blue windows screen (not BSOD) with a window titled "Install Windows" which contains drop down menus for choosing language and date preferences. When this happens, the first drop down menu is highlighted, however, no mouse cursor is on the screen and input from the mouse or keyboard is non responsive.

Working on the memory issue now. Currently the 8GB of memory is divided onto two 4GB sticks. They are in A2 and B2 (blue slots) as suggested via the MOBO manual for optimum dual channel performance.
November 11, 2011 7:14:05 AM

is it a seagate 7200.11 hard drive?

another thing to try is to get a live linux distro and try booting from the dvd drive , or from USB
November 11, 2011 7:20:05 AM

I think it is .11 Seagate. I heard there was problems with them. What exactly would that determine though?
November 11, 2011 7:44:46 AM

check in your bios that it is 3.2ghz at x16 multiplier to be sure it is configure correctly as seen by the system
November 11, 2011 7:51:16 AM

tonitelaoag said:
check in your bios that it is 3.2ghz at x16 multiplier to be sure it is configure correctly as seen by the system

I'm not sure what you mean. How do I check this?
November 11, 2011 7:09:11 PM

how long do you wait until you give up on the freezing? If memory serves i had a computer do this "freezing" part for 5 mins more or less. In the end it did install.
!