Sign in with
Your question

Asus cm1730/1830 BIOS update issue

Last response: in Motherboards
December 15, 2012 4:04:52 AM

New to forums, decided to join up since I was repeatedly coming here for pertinent information. I am in the process of upgrading my current cpu, and need assistance with the BIOS flashing issue.

I searched for updated BIOS in Asus website. Found my motherboard, M4A78LT-M cm1730/cm1830. Current BIOS is 0601, latest BIOS version on Asus website is 0802. Downloaded BIOS and extracted to flash drive. Opened Asus BIOS Update program and located extracted BIOS version 0802. BIOS update gave back error stating BIOS model is not compatible with BIOS ROM.

Interestingly enough, I downloaded latest BIOS 0702 for Asus cm1830. I extracted file and opened it in the Asus BIOS Update program. This time it accepted the BIOS and will allow me to flash BIOS version 0702 for cm1830. I did not flash the BIOS.

My reason for flashing is that I am upgrading my current cpu (Athlon II x2 220) to a Phenom II x6 1045T cpu.

My questions are as followed:

Will I "harm" my motherboard if I flash BIOS 0702?

Why is BIOS version 0802 not compatible for my motherboard, even though it was downloaded off of Asus' motherboard's site?

Is BIOS 0702 compatible with Phenom II x6 1045T and my current cpu?

Could my motherboard have been miss-labeled, and it is really a different board?

I don't know if there is any other information I can supply. Thanks for the help!
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 554 V Motherboard
December 15, 2012 4:52:27 AM

Hi,
ASUS modified the BIOS for systems I guess for avoiding warranty issues (no OC options or limited a.s.o). So even if the motherboards are the same model, you can't flash a BIOS released for the board only. You have to choose from the BIOSes released for the system.
I'm not sure but I think that upgrading parts like CPUs would void the warranty.
Now, I've checked the CM1730 page and 0601 is the latest BIOS. Is your system 1730 or 1830?
And I don't know if upgrading the BIOS would allow you to install the Phenom, as there's no CPU Compatibility List.
You should contact ASUS Support and ask them.
December 15, 2012 2:31:52 PM

Thanks for the response. I have no doubt that my warrant has been voided (I opened the side panel of the tower). I have a Asus cm1730/ 1830, which has been identified by CPUID, retail store, and system info.

Here is a link to my mobo, http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A78LTM/#CPUS. As you can see in the cpu compatibility list, the Phenom II x6 1045t is supported. The BIOS version that supports the x6 is 0605. My mobo has an AM3 socket and supports up to 125w (Phenom is 95w). You'll also notice that the latest BIOS for my mobo is 0802. When I download the latest and try to flash in EZ Flash it gives me errors that the BIOS model is not compatible with the BIOS ROM.

Here is a link to Asus cm1830, http://www.service.asus.com/#!Downloads/c1wax.

There is no cpu compatibility list, and the lates BIOS version is 0702. When I download this BIOS, EZ Flash recognizes the BIOS and will let me flash. I have not flashed it yet though.

Will I "harm" my motherboard if I flash BIOS 0702?

Why is BIOS version 0802 not compatible for my motherboard, even though it was downloaded off of Asus' motherboard's site?

Is BIOS 0702 compatible with Phenom II x6 1045T and my current cpu?

Could my motherboard have been miss-labeled, and it is really a different board?
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 554 V Motherboard
December 15, 2012 7:10:38 PM

The answer is in the above post. You can consider the board in your system as a different one. Different BIOS, although the model is the same. They programmed a different BIOS for CM. Now, I don't know if the BIOS in the CM would support the x6, as ASUS gives no info. That's why I suggested contacting them.

What you can do though is checking if the BIOS chip is on socket (on M4A78LT-M it is).
If yes, then I think that you can order a BIOS chip, replace the board's one and then you can install the Phenom.
You can find BIOS chips on ASUS eStore (if in US) or on ebay. It's about 20$ and it's easy to replace it.
!