Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please Help ASAP Deleted Laptop Hard Drive!

Last response: in Memory
December 15, 2012 5:27:18 AM

PLEASE HELP i am in dire dire dire need of help.
Okay, so here's the story.
My Neice needed her laptop fixed and i was going to just restore it to factory settings. but her computer was so incredibly lagging/freezing up i couldn't access the way to do it. And at times i got BSOD, so i went on the recovery thing and opened command prompt and watched a video on how to wipe a hard drive and after doing so i read a comment saying don't do this on a laptop because most only have a single partition and it will not allow you to access your computer. you have to use it on a secondary partition/drive. at that moment i panicked. i have no idea what to do. i am so confused and i looked everywhere what can i do!!! if her mother finds out i will have a lot of problems. i just want to know a way to fix it within the next day/asap. The video i used is here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxBFEY-hs8
The commands it tells me to enter are as follows.
(("diskpart",once in diskpart i entered "list disk","select disk 0" (the only disk).
then i entered "clean","create partition primary","format fs=ntfs quick" )). Once i did all that i rebooted and the laptop gave me this error -> Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key
So i tried going to boot menu and changing the priority to hard drive to no avail because i realized it's completely done.
Please help me i really need to fix this laptop. the specs are below.

I couldn't access the computer but the system overview tells me this.
Processor Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz
Speed :2300MHz
System Memory Size : 3096MB
The Laptop Model is -> ASUS K501 or K50I not sure. I am not a professional so sorry if this isn't clear enough. please help. thank you.
a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
December 15, 2012 5:38:41 AM

Hi, What happens if you press F9 at restart?
I guess you don't have the laptop's recovery DVDs.
An option would be getting a Windows install DVD and using it for installing Windows.
December 15, 2012 5:53:54 AM

alexoiu said:
Hi, What happens if you press F9 at restart?
I guess you don't have the laptop's recovery DVDs.
An option would be getting a Windows install DVD and using it for installing Windows.

I pressed F9 at restart and it gives me this error :

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros AR121/AR8113/AR8114 PCIE Ethernet Controller v1.0.0.11 (2008/07/10)

Check Cable Connection!
PXE0M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

and seconds later i get the same boot device error. :( 
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
December 15, 2012 6:00:09 AM

What version of windows is the product key for?
December 15, 2012 6:02:09 AM

unksol said:
What version of windows is the product key for?

a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
December 15, 2012 6:05:02 AM

Try tapping F4 at restart.
December 15, 2012 6:09:45 AM

alexoiu said:
Try tapping F4 at restart.

It took me to AsusTek BIOS ROM Easy Flash Utility v.1.16

i pressed enter on C: and it shows in the file window

$EXTEND <DIR>
$MFT 2013/12/14 5:50
$SECURE 2013/12/14 5:50
December 15, 2012 6:09:47 AM

It's trying to boot from the LAN. Means it's already tried the hard drive, optical drive, etc, and hasn't found anything it can boot from.

In short you can't "undelete" a hard drive. You can use a program like Recuva ( http://www.piriform.com/recuva ) to recover the pictures, music, etc. but at the end of the day you will need to re-install windows using whatever version she had (XP, 7, etc)

If you are not capable of doing this, you'll have to shell out the cash to have a shop do it for you. Any shop worth it's salt should be able to do 24 hour turnaround so long as there isn't a backlog of machines.

Either way if it was lagging/freezing there's a good chance her hard drive was taking a dump. Either that or it had a software issue (most likely malicious software AKA "A virus") You could take it into a shop and ask them to test it, or remove it and use Acronis Disk Monitor on another computer it's hooked up to to look at the SMART data (aka see how "healthy") of the drive

Not what you wanted to hear, i'm sure, but that's all there is to it.
December 15, 2012 6:13:18 AM

internetlad said:
It's trying to boot from the LAN. Means it's already tried the hard drive, optical drive, etc, and hasn't found anything it can boot from.

In short you can't "undelete" a hard drive. You can use a program like Recuva ( http://www.piriform.com/recuva ) to recover the pictures, music, etc. but at the end of the day you will need to re-install windows using whatever version she had (XP, 7, etc)

If you are not capable of doing this, you'll have to shell out the cash to have a shop do it for you. Any shop worth it's salt should be able to do 24 hour turnaround so long as there isn't a backlog of machines.

How would i reinstall windows? and will the hard drive still work properly? meaning it's like brand new?

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
December 15, 2012 6:15:12 AM

kman510 said:

You can download the official windows 7 isos here

Http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os...

download the correct version, burn it to a DVD or create a bootable USB drive with the Microsoft USB tool here

www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_W...

Select to boot from the appropriate device, select the harddrive to install, and when prompted enter your product key from the bottom of the laptop.

Once install completes you will have to download the drivers from ASUS support and install them.
December 15, 2012 6:15:32 AM

kman510 said:
How would i reinstall windows? and will the hard drive still work properly? meaning it's like brand new?

I edited my post with new info, re-read it.

To re-install windows you would need the discs for that version of windows. Re-installng isn't hard but getting the discs can be.

EDIT: unksol's link seems like it should work for acquiring the discs. Once you've got windows reinstalled head to the asus support site, punch in the model of laptop and get the drivers. check in device manager (just search for "device" in the start menu) for any yellow exclamation points. Find the applicable drivers (some of them can be cryptic) and install those and you should be good.
a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
December 15, 2012 6:15:54 AM

The manual says that F9 is used for using the recovery partition. Since it doesn't work, the partition is probably deleted.
If the laptop is still under warranty, it can be fixed. Try contacting the reseller or ASUS Service.
If you have an Windows 7 DVD, you can use it for installing Windows.
EDIT Or use the method above
December 15, 2012 7:16:29 PM

Best answer selected by kman510.
!