ZZ--__--ZZ

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Hey guys, recently put together a build using the Shuttle SX58H7-PRO barebones. Love the case and love the size. I am confused by the options available in the AMI bios.

Components:
i7 950 - Stock
12 GB RAM Gskill (4x3)
GTX 275
OCZ vertex 3 120GB
WD Black 750 GB
Asus Optical Drive

The bios are AMI based and do not offer any option to lower the Vcore voltage, unless I am missing something (very possible).
I have built 5 systems based on shuttle barebones with few issues. However, my intention was to under-volt this i7 950 to the lowest stable voltage considering that I am adding at GTX 570 this weekend for Skyrim.

I feel like I must be overlooking an option in the AMI bios (version 1.06). But, I can't seem to figure out how to lower the Vcore. Set to "Auto" I get a slight over-volt at 1.27-1.28 volts. This is no big problem, but I'm very conservative when it comes to voltage and temps. I have an i7 920 running at 3.2 at 1.025 volts. So, I expected to get some great voltage/performance compromises out of this CPU.

Any experience with this board out there? Or, any custom bios that I might be able to try so I can lower the voltage. I'm tempted to solder on a POT so my anal brain can be at rest :p

Any help at all is extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys,
-ZZ

woemler

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Since this thread has gone cold, I'll hijack it and ask a few questions. Did you ever get your shuttle build working? I am considering migrating my X58 system to a Shuttle SX58H7-PRO. How is the heat and noise in the system? Did you use any additional cooler or fans? What's the largest GPU the case could comfortably fit?

ZZ--__--ZZ

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Yeah the shuttle is humming along nicely. I must admit I'm pretty conservative when it comes to heat in my systems. At stock voltages/frequencies, cpu idles at avg 52C so not bad (this is in a cabinet where the only opening is at the front of the system. It is very quiet at idle. However, with the GTX 570 at full load, lets say playing Skyrim for instance, it can get into the upper 60s and 70s and the fan can get a bit loud. It doesn't bother me b/c when I'm gaming i have the volume up or headphones on :p I haven't added any additional cooling and have been very satisfied with the overall performance of this build. Don't know the max size for gfx cards, but the GTX 570 is quite snug.

Hope that helps!!
ZZ