Mizhal

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hello everyone

Planning to build a new computer in the next couple
of months.
I am new at this, and would like to get some feedback on the below components.
Will be used mainly for graphic arts and a bit of gaming.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
MOBO: ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB(2x 4GB)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 - 2GB
SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 3Hard Drive -
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
ODD: Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW
PSU: OCZ ZT 650W

Thank you everyone in advance!
Mizhal

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
The extreme3 gen3 is the same mobo minus 2sata3 and 2usb3 that you won't need.
Price/Performance king Crucial m4 128gb is a better solution, unless you want to invest 500bucks it is not worth it going faster or bigger.
Everything looks great, you might want to consider the Corsair A70 as a cooler.

Mizhal

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Thank you so much everyone for the info.

- ZZ: I am in Australia, so the Force 3 Series 120GB is $ 199.00 over here. The Vertex 3 goes for about $ 250.00, and the Crucial M4 around $ 240.00.

lunyone: I was thinking of getting the Corsair Carbide 500R case.

vx53c: I know, the Extreme 3 would be a bit of a saving. However, I was looking at the Extreme 4 because I was looking the 500R case, which has both USB 3.0 and Firewire on its frontpanel. In that case, I would like to have headers on the mobo to connect them to... From memory, I don't think the Extreme 3 has USB 3.0 or Firewire headers !? I know I won't be needing USB 3.0 anytime soon, however it doesn't hurt to have it ready to go for future. Yes, I was looking at the Crucial M4 as well, however it's actually quite a bit more than the Force 3 Series over here (not sure if I would get that much of a performance boost out of the Crucial M4 compared to the Force 3!?). I have also read a few reviews that favour the Force 3 (http://techreport.com/articles.x/21672/1).
I will definitely have a look at the Corsair A70. Thanks for the tip!!!

cutebeans: I have read that they have fixed that with their latest firmware update??? (http://thessdreview.com/latest-buzz/ocz-releases-ssd-firmware-to-fix-sandforce-sf-2281-blue-screen-of-death/)

Emelth: Thanks for the advice... I will definitely have another look at the M4

Also, do you think a 650W PSU will be sufficient? I might be looking at a mild overclock. I understand an upgrade would be required for 2 x GPU setup...

Thank you again for the excellent info guys. It's great to be able to rely on such a wealth of information on this forum!
Cheers

Well if your going with mid-upper GPU's to SLI/X-fire, than I'd consider getting the 750w PSU (if your sticking with OCZ ZT series). It comes with 4 x 6+2 pin PCI-e power connectors (used for GPU's). The 650w PSU that you selected only comes with 2 x 6+2 pin PCI-e power connectors, so you'd have to get a converter cable to get the other 2 x 6+2 pin PCI-e power connectors (which I don't recommend doing).

I'd also consider Antec/Corsair/Seasonic/PCP&C PSU manufacturers also. They have good reputations and build pretty good PSU's too. Their warranties are also pretty good too (usually 3-5 years).

Mizhal

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks lunyone. I will give this some further thought. I don't think I will be going with a dual GPU setup soon...
I have looked at hundreds of PSU reviews. It's driving nuts :)...
I like the OCZ ZT because it's fully modular, and it received some good reviews. But I have also looked at Antec and/or Corsair

Thanks again everyone!