Recommended PSU for sli 560ti 448

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakexeal

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Solution
For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 60 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

If you plan on overclocking your CPU and/or graphics cards you will need to increase the +12 Volt continuous current rating beyond the minimum 60 Amps to somewhere around 74 Amps or greater depending on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve. This amount should even be able to handle the running of Furmark or OCCT GPU stress testing with both the CPU and GPUs overclocked...
For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 60 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

If you plan on overclocking your CPU and/or graphics cards you will need to increase the +12 Volt continuous current rating beyond the minimum 60 Amps to somewhere around 74 Amps or greater depending on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve. This amount should even be able to handle the running of Furmark or OCCT GPU stress testing with both the CPU and GPUs overclocked.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

The OCZ ModXStream Pro Series (OCZ700MXSP), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps and with its one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is insufficient to power a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

A reputable name brand 950 Watt or greater power supply will fully meet the +12 Volt continuous current and PCI Express supplementary power connectors requirements.

The PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W (PPCS910), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 74 Amps and with its two 6-pin and two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to meet the requirements.

Solution

Blakexeal

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
One other thing I'm worried about is if I do end up deciding to purchase the 910w, is there lots of wasted electricity even if I'm not using 80% of the maximum wattage? Or is the power only drawn that my pc actually consumes? I figure larger PSU would make for more wasted electricity if I'm not utilizing it's safe potential percent. I know the question sounds stupid. I just don't want outrageous electric bills. The hours go by quickly when you're gaming.

The power supply will only provide the power that is required by the components plus the conversion efficiency losses.

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W (PPCS910)

DC Watts / AC Watts = Efficiency

184W / 228W = 80.7%
196W / 230W = 85.2%
359W / 410W = 87.6%
538W / 609W = 88.3%
728W / 823W = 88.5%
914W / 1056W = 86.6%
918W / 1073W = 85.6%

DC Watts is what the system components are drawing
AC Watts is what would be measured at the AC power plug of this power supply unit

Status
Not open for further replies.