Intel Smart Response SSD Caching Issue Z77 Chipset

jazzmac251

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I've been trying for hours and hours to setup the Intel SSD caching technology on my new Asus P8Z77-V Pro mobo. The goal is to have a spare SSD I already had laying about (OCZ Vertex 2 30GB) accelerate my 1TB HDD data drive. That's the goal, now here are the issues...

First of all, I can't get any of the Smart Response/Rapid Start drivers to install. Both the driver on the Asus Mobo DVD and the diver on the Asus website return errors stating that my system "doesn't meet the minimum requirements" - which is absolutely absurd. Pretty sure I meet the requirements.

Second of all, I have the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers installed and functioning properly. The acceleration option is available and does work. However, it only works when I try to accelerate my backup drive, which is a very old 400GB Western Digital(WD4000AAJS-6). When I try to accelerate my data drive, a newer Seagate 1TB HDD (ST31000333AS), the RST control panel freezes, eventually returns an "unknown error", and the acceleration does not occur. No idea why one HDD would accelerate and one would not. They're both on the same Intel controller, they're both SATA II HDDs. They're even both connected using the same type of SATA cables. What more is necessary?

Similarly, when I try to stop the test-setup acceleration of the backup drive, I get the same freeze up and "unknown error" as previously described when trying to ENABLE acceleration on the data drive.

Also, I don't know if this is related, but I'm unable to install two optional Intel updates from Windows Update:

Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, WDMM1.2 - Intel HG Graphics 4000
Intel - Other Hardware - Intel Management Engine Interface

Any attempt to install those updates returns a "WindowsUpdate_80070103" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" error. Despite this, Device Manager does not show any "missing driver" problems.

Thanks for your help!

jazzmac251

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Thanks for the response.

I figured out the errors were a result of my Data disk being converted to a Dynamic drive due to an outdated data archiving system I was using. I converted it back to a Simple volume and everything works fine now!