Can my motherboard support 64gb?

Proclaim89

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
OK, this is weird and all, but i have a asus p9x79 motherboard, and I want to fill all dimm slots. I want to maximise the amount of ram so I want to get quad channel 8GB sticks. I looked at the Corsair Dominator Platinum but they were too much of a premium for me to even afford to get 2 sets of these.

SO, I decided to settle on the Corsair Vengeance Quad-channel ram which is 4x8GB.
http://www.corsair.com//vengeance-32gb-quad-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz32gx3m4x1866c10.html

What i want to do is i want to grab 2 of these kits and have them on XMP so i can still have 64GB of ram @ 1866mhz on the ASUS P9X79 PRO.
I've seen a few reviews where grabbing 2 kits of the same ram with the same timings and speeds can still screw the Motherboard up unless it goes down to 1333mhz.
Is this true? Is there an actual way to have what I want to do with succession?

Much is appreciated for the help! thanks!
:D

Solution
Although combining two identical kits has no guarantee of working properly, your odds are much higher of success doing that. The compatability issues that plagued ram in the past seems to have been (for the most part) solved. Mixing and matching isn't as critical as it had been in days of yore but again, no guarantee.
Summary: Your motherboard will support 64GB (to answer the title question) and getting the two identical kits offers the highest possibility of success.
Although combining two identical kits has no guarantee of working properly, your odds are much higher of success doing that. The compatability issues that plagued ram in the past seems to have been (for the most part) solved. Mixing and matching isn't as critical as it had been in days of yore but again, no guarantee.
Summary: Your motherboard will support 64GB (to answer the title question) and getting the two identical kits offers the highest possibility of success.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

If it doesn't work at 1866MT/s, you can try again at 1600 or 1333.

Large memory configurations (more DIMMs per channel) put extra load on the CPU's RAM control lines and that makes high RAM clock speeds more difficult if not impossible to achieve. If you look at motherboards' QVLs, you can see that the proportion of modules certified for dual DIMMs per channel goes down as frequency goes up.

The real-world performance difference between 1600 and 1066 is already not much with dual-channel memory so going from 1866 to 1333 on quad should hurt even less.