Help/drivers swapping a celeron m 540 for a pentium t4200 in a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
i ended up inheriting a broken lcd corrupt harddrive dell 1525 laptop that has an intel pentium t4200 dual core 2.0ghz on a pga478 socket.

i have a toshiba a205-s5000 laptop that has an intel celeron m 540 1.86ghz on a pga478 socket as well, so from what ive researched it should be no problem swapping the cpu's out for one another.

i already swapped the 2gb of ddr2 ram i had on my toshiba for the speedier newer 4gb of ddr2 ram the dell had, nice.

My question is what do i need to do as far as the drivers to get my computer to recognize the cpu? Do i even need to do anything besides pop out, pop other in, paste, put back together?

im kinda a noob so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks yall.

Solution
Need to make sure the BIOs is the latest for that motherboard. Make sure you have some thermal paste to put on the CPU (and clean off the old stuff) before putting it all back together.

Also keep in mind, there is a chance it won't work. Same socket doesn't always mean compatibility.

No drivers will (or should) be needed,

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Need to make sure the BIOs is the latest for that motherboard. Make sure you have some thermal paste to put on the CPU (and clean off the old stuff) before putting it all back together.

Also keep in mind, there is a chance it won't work. Same socket doesn't always mean compatibility.

No drivers will (or should) be needed,

Solution
SOLVED

After updating the funky oem toshiba bios to a from 2.40 to 2.60 and crossing my fingers, and about 2 hours of carefully taking apart my laptop and swapping the cpu's, viola, it friggin worked. single core celeron 540 (512 benchmark) swapped for a dual core t4200 (1271 benchmark) cpu, NICE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.