Photoshop Elements 3 problem

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 21, 2005 5:10:25 PM

Has anyone experienced computer freeze (Elements window only) when you try
to save or save as. The program worked fine for a short while, now as soon
as I try to save a file, modified or unmodified, the window freezes.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:10:26 PM

Greg Hazen wrote:
> Has anyone experienced computer freeze (Elements window only) when
> you try to save or save as. The program worked fine for a short
> while, now as soon as I try to save a file, modified or unmodified,
> the window freezes.

I had something similar. How long will it freeze for? I kept
Ctrl-Alt-Del to End Program, but one time I let it sit, and after about
six minutes it went back to work. I think it is a Windows function
trying to read a non-functional network drive, or some such. It really
wants to see what's there, persists for six minutes, and finally gives
up.

Or maybe your machine is infested with the Waveries ...

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Greg Hazen wrote:
> Has anyone experienced computer freeze (Elements window only) when
> you try to save or save as. The program worked fine for a short
> while, now as soon as I try to save a file, modified or unmodified,
> the window freezes.

Not I.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit
Related resources
April 21, 2005 5:44:18 PM

Nope, but it's a power hog and I would recommend that before you use it
you reboot. Almost make sure you disc and registry are not fragmented.
Also, you are not using it with Win98????? It is designed for XP and up.

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> Greg Hazen wrote:
>
>>Has anyone experienced computer freeze (Elements window only) when
>>you try to save or save as. The program worked fine for a short
>>while, now as soon as I try to save a file, modified or unmodified,
>>the window freezes.
>

> Not I.

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:52:50 PM

Thanks for your help. I am using XP, have tried rebooting (doesn't help),
and have defragged disk. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, again worked
correctly for a while, then problem resurfaces. I have 512K RAM, is this
enough?
"Ron" <rgood@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Nope, but it's a power hog and I would recommend that before you use it
> you reboot. Almost make sure you disc and registry are not fragmented.
> Also, you are not using it with Win98????? It is designed for XP and up.
>
> Joseph Meehan wrote:
>> Greg Hazen wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone experienced computer freeze (Elements window only) when
>>>you try to save or save as. The program worked fine for a short
>>>while, now as soon as I try to save a file, modified or unmodified,
>>>the window freezes.
>>

>> Not I.

April 21, 2005 6:52:51 PM

Greg:

Doesn't feel to me like it is the amount of ram you have, but maybe
memory management or some kind of conflict. Have you had other versions
of Elements on your computer? Adobe software you are no longer using? I
had some loading problems and cured them by going into the registry and
killing all references to Elements. I then reinstalled and all was cool.
Incidentally, my loading problem was very similar. Would work and then
die after awhile.

I would not recommend changing your registry without fully backing it up
first. What I noticed was that even though I thought I had uninstalled
Elements it remained in my registry and so I had to kill it by hand.
Also check to see what other processes are running when you run into
your problem. You just might have too much going on at the same time.

What happens if you reset your system to an earlier time when Elements
was working? Have you tried that? Looked at what processes are or are
not running.

Just thinking....hope something helps. You might also do a Google search
for 3.0 freezing.

Greg Hazen wrote:
> Thanks for your help. I am using XP, have tried rebooting (doesn't help),
> and have defragged disk. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, again worked
> correctly for a while, then problem resurfaces. I have 512K RAM, is this
> enough?
> "Ron" <rgood@netzero.com> wrote in message
>
>>Nope, but it's a power hog and I would recommend that before you use it
>>you reboot. Almost make sure you disc and registry are not fragmented.
>>Also, you are not using it with Win98????? It is designed for XP and up.
>>
>>Joseph Meehan wrote:

>>> Not I.

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 7:28:43 PM

Greg Hazen wrote:
> Thanks for your help. I am using XP, have tried rebooting (doesn't help),
> and have defragged disk. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, again worked
> correctly for a while, then problem resurfaces. I have 512K RAM, is this
> enough?
> "Ron" <rgood@netzero.com> wrote in message
>
>>Nope, but it's a power hog and I would recommend that before you use it
>>you reboot. Almost make sure you disc and registry are not fragmented.
>>Also, you are not using it with Win98????? It is designed for XP and up.
>>
>>Joseph Meehan wrote:

>>> Not I.

Yes. I run PSE3 comfortably with 512 meg, on two machines. Note that
if you use layers, you may want more RAM.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Frank ess wrote:
> Greg Hazen wrote:
>
>>Has anyone experienced computer freeze (Elements window only) when
>>you try to save or save as. The program worked fine for a short
>>while, now as soon as I try to save a file, modified or unmodified,
>>the window freezes.
>

> I had something similar. How long will it freeze for? I kept
> Ctrl-Alt-Del to End Program, but one time I let it sit, and after about
> six minutes it went back to work. I think it is a Windows function
> trying to read a non-functional network drive, or some such. It really
> wants to see what's there, persists for six minutes, and finally gives
> up.
>
> Or maybe your machine is infested with the Waveries ...

Could be paging. Is the HD active?

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 7:30:20 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Frank ess wrote:
>> Greg Hazen wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone experienced computer freeze (Elements window only) when
>>> you try to save or save as. The program worked fine for a short
>>> while, now as soon as I try to save a file, modified or unmodified,
>>> the window freezes.
>>

>> I had something similar. How long will it freeze for? I kept
>> Ctrl-Alt-Del to End Program, but one time I let it sit, and after
>> about six minutes it went back to work. I think it is a Windows
>> function trying to read a non-functional network drive, or some
>> such. It really wants to see what's there, persists for six minutes,
>> and finally gives up.
>>
>> Or maybe your machine is infested with the Waveries ...
>>

> Could be paging. Is the HD active?

During the freeze-time the disk is not active, and the Performance graph
shows infrequent low-level activity. This is on a 3.2G w/ 1G memory.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Ron,
All you wrote makes sense. I will try another reinstall as you suggest and
delve into the registry issue when I have a lot of time on my hands! Not
very excited about changing the registry. Thanks for your great
suggestions.
Greg
> Greg:
>
> Doesn't feel to me like it is the amount of ram you have, but maybe memory
> management or some kind of conflict. Have you had other versions of
> Elements on your computer? Adobe software you are no longer using? I had
> some loading problems and cured them by going into the registry and
> killing all references to Elements. I then reinstalled and all was cool.
> Incidentally, my loading problem was very similar. Would work and then die
> after awhile.
>
> I would not recommend changing your registry without fully backing it up
> first. What I noticed was that even though I thought I had uninstalled
> Elements it remained in my registry and so I had to kill it by hand. Also
> check to see what other processes are running when you run into your
> problem. You just might have too much going on at the same time.
>
> What happens if you reset your system to an earlier time when Elements was
> working? Have you tried that? Looked at what processes are or are not
> running.
>
> Just thinking....hope something helps. You might also do a Google search
> for 3.0 freezing.
>
> Greg Hazen wrote:
>> Thanks for your help. I am using XP, have tried rebooting (doesn't
>> help), and have defragged disk. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, again
>> worked correctly for a while, then problem resurfaces. I have 512K RAM,
>> is this enough?
>> "Ron" <rgood@netzero.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Nope, but it's a power hog and I would recommend that before you use it
>>>you reboot. Almost make sure you disc and registry are not fragmented.
>>>Also, you are not using it with Win98????? It is designed for XP and up.

April 21, 2005 8:12:42 PM

"Greg Hazen" <93rover@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Has anyone experienced computer freeze (Elements window only) when you try
>to save or save as. The program worked fine for a short while, now as soon
>as I try to save a file, modified or unmodified, the window freezes.

No. Just out of curiosity, what operating system, how much ram,
service pack level, ect?

Wes