Upgrading motherboard - how to?

Daratum

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I've decided to finally upgrade from my old EVGA 123-LF-E653-KR (P55 LE) to either a ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or an ASUS SABERTOOTH but regardless of that I was wondering what I'd need to go about doing to upgrade? Do I just swap the board, plug everything back in and play or will I have to reinstall windows? Is there a way to upgrade without having to reinstall everything?

araesk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Yes you will have to reinstall windows, I could go into the complex reasons why, but i don't think you'd care to know. Also, with a new motherboard make sure that the board-size (atx, micro atx, etc.) fits your case, the last thing you want to do is have a spiffy new board and processor with no case to support it. Make sure you mount your spacers on the back of the board so there is some seperation between the board and the case. Make sure the new CPU your mounting has the corner in the right part of the socket, you can check the motherboard guide for clarity on this. But then you just plug everything else in and it'll work, you'll just need to redo drivers.

Daratum

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

So am I looking at needing to buy a new copy of Windows and then installing it on my SSD when I boot with the new motherboard?