Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading motherboard - how to?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 15, 2012 10:50:41 AM

I've decided to finally upgrade from my old EVGA 123-LF-E653-KR (P55 LE) to either a ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or an ASUS SABERTOOTH but regardless of that I was wondering what I'd need to go about doing to upgrade? Do I just swap the board, plug everything back in and play or will I have to reinstall windows? Is there a way to upgrade without having to reinstall everything?

More about : upgrading motherboard

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 15, 2012 10:56:20 AM

These boards have different cpu sockets (1156 / 1155), so you will need to change the cpu.
December 15, 2012 10:59:14 AM

noidea_77 said:
These boards have different cpu sockets (1156 / 1155), so you will need to change the cpu.

I intend to purchase an Intel Core i7-3770K.
Related resources
December 15, 2012 11:35:30 AM

I guess you have to re install windows. I had to do mine after it failed to read the old windows install. No way of overtaking that.
December 15, 2012 1:04:12 PM

Yes you will have to reinstall windows, I could go into the complex reasons why, but i don't think you'd care to know. Also, with a new motherboard make sure that the board-size (atx, micro atx, etc.) fits your case, the last thing you want to do is have a spiffy new board and processor with no case to support it. Make sure you mount your spacers on the back of the board so there is some seperation between the board and the case. Make sure the new CPU your mounting has the corner in the right part of the socket, you can check the motherboard guide for clarity on this. But then you just plug everything else in and it'll work, you'll just need to redo drivers.
December 15, 2012 6:41:37 PM

Is there anyway to install a new motherboard without having to install windows again? Perhaps just update the drivers.

Best solution

December 18, 2012 10:33:01 PM

Nope there is not, it is rough for that one reason. At least all your files will be preserved under windows.old
December 18, 2012 10:41:18 PM

araesk said:
Nope there is not, it is rough for that one reason. At least all your files will be preserved under windows.old

So am I looking at needing to buy a new copy of Windows and then installing it on my SSD when I boot with the new motherboard?
December 25, 2012 10:57:55 PM

Best answer selected by Daratum.
!