Underclocking my RAM

prkaye

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I've got GSKILLS RIPJAW Z 1866 RAM on my new Core i7-3820 on a Sabertooth X79. I'm having a very strange problem with the system where on the first boot of the day I get an error, but subsequent boots and restarts the same day are all normal. The system worked without this error for about a month, then it started. Occassionally I'll get a BSOD shortly after the first boot of the day too. I tried under Win 7 and 8 (the Win 7 startup error is generic, the Windows 8 error was related to the user profile service).
I suspect a RAM issue. I had my RAM running at 1600MHZ (it wouldn't run stably at 1866 - limitation of the memory controller on the CPU I think). Now I've dialled it back to 1333, but I still get the startup problem.

QUESTION - My RAM sepcs are DDR3-1866 CL10-11-10-30 1.5V. If I manually underclock to 1333, do I also have to change the latency timings and/or the voltage to make it stable?

No, when it's running slower it will, if anything, allow stricter timings. Same timings and voltage should be more than fine.

However, if it's unstable even at 1333 I suspect the error may have another cause. You can run memtest86+ to check whether the RAM is alright.