My CPU is running 97C at startup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyd282

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I have recently been trying to build a computer from the old parts from my last computer. The only things that differ between what it use to be and what it is now are the power supply and tower. The tower is even nicer than the old one in terms of fans. However, the computer wont stay turned on. I checked in BIOS and it said the CPU temperature was at 97C, which I believe is high, especially for having been just turned on. It is a Pentium D dual core 3.0Ghz processor. Any ideas on why this new setup would all of the sudden be running so hot? What are my options for correcting it? Just getting a new heat sync? It use to work fine, idk why it wouldn't be working now. The fan is still working properly.

did you apply new paste or did you try to reuse the old stuff... if the latter is true then you gotta clean it and replace it...
you didn't upgrade the cpu? so you shouldn't need to go into bios and load optimized defaults to enable the bios to fully identify your hardware and supply the correct voltages... so as i say my guess is a bad TIM paste application...

Status
Not open for further replies.