How To Disable Onboard Sound Card

surtitanuj

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Hi,

I am planning to buy a new sound card. Befor that I just want to know whether it is necessary to disable onboard sound or not, if yes, the please advise how to disable it.

Thanks in advance.

yes. in some bios's theres a dissable/enable azalia onboard codec i think its by realtek. you can also go into the device manager/hardware and disable any on-board thats there... on some boards its need to be off to ensure compatability on others you dont need to disable it.
also unless you use hdmi and have an ati card you can disable the ati hd audio also in device manager.
just google your realtek version with the words "compatibility issues" if it shows up in multiple replies then best disable it.

currently i have enabled on my system.
realtek, x-fi creative, ati hd, and logitech drivers all active... they all work without issue as far as i can tell. i have had this board for 2 years and the logitech g930's just over a year (specs in sig)

surtitanuj

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Hi All,

Thanks for ur reply. I m having Lenove desktop but not aware of bios or motherboard version. As mentioned by HEXiT I tried Device manager their under "Sound, video and game controllers" I found following options,

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio
Video Codecs

Now tell Me whether I have to disable all those where audio word is their or not i.e. Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers and SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio