Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My next Gaming Rig for the next several years!

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 11, 2011 2:57:57 PM

Hey All,

I'm building a new gaming rig and putting around 3k into it. My goal is to have it running all the current games and the games for the next several years on high to ultimate settings.

Here's the setup:


SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit

HITACHI Ultrastar 7K3000 HUA723020ALA640 (0F12455) 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

(DUAL) EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-206DBKS


NEED to find a good case.

I'm looking for any advice or tweaks anyone may have.

More about : gaming rig years

November 11, 2011 8:12:44 PM

The Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold series is ok from a build quality, voltage regulation, fan noise and functionality perspective. Its major downside is that ripple and noise suppression isn't very good. At full load it will just about be in spec on the 12V and 5V rails. For that reason I would not want to buy. If that also puts you off then I would recommend this:
Antec High Current Pro HCP-850W 80Plus Gold Modular $165 ($15 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 3:12:31 PM

Silvune said:
The Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold series is ok from a build quality, voltage regulation, fan noise and functionality perspective. Its major downside is that ripple and noise suppression isn't very good. At full load it will just about be in spec on the 12V and 5V rails. For that reason I would not want to buy. If that also puts you off then I would recommend this:
Antec High Current Pro HCP-850W 80Plus Gold Modular $165 ($15 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



You think 850W is enough for my build? I was told by several people I'd need more than that for sure.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 18, 2011 3:17:43 PM

What's your monitor's resolution? That's bad mentality though....you can build a superb system for 1000$ and keep the rest for being up to date whenever you need
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 10:56:54 PM

I think you would have to want to run very power intensive programs (furmark, BOINC, etc) on a regular basis to need more than 850W.
Or basically if you don't want any restrictions on what you could upgrade to in the future.

This review shows a system with two GTX 570s using 556W at the wall running Furmark.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way...
They were using a fairly efficient unit so I'm only going to take 10% off that number, which means that their system consumed 500W. That kind of load would only stress an 850W PSU to ~58%. Furmark is an unrealistic load, so not many programs will cause a system to draw as much. Typical power consumption is going to be much lower. A 60% load on a high quality PSU should not be a cause for concern.

If you still want a ~1000W unit then here are some others which don't have such high ripple:
Cougar GX-1050 80Plus Gold Modular $170 ($20 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill Lightning 1000W 80Plus Gold Modular $180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W 80Plus Gold Modular $195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Enermax Revolution85+ 1020W 80Plus Silver Modular $205 ($6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT Hale90 1000W 80Plus Gold Modular $210 ($6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair HX1050 80Plus Silver Modular $220 ($20 rebate, $6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Picking up on what michxymi said you could save a lot of money on this build and not notice any immediate drop in performance or any decrease in performance in the future IMO. For instance 16GB is overkill for gaming atm and I can't really imagine this changing soon. Even if it does then it would would be easy and should be cheap enough to buy and install more RAM.
The motherboard could probably be downgraded unless that is the cheapest one with all the features and performance that you need.
Atm clock speed is more important than more than 4 cores, and by the time this changes surely the i7-2600K won't be up to much.
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 11:38:46 PM

just wait for Ivy bridge
m
0
l
November 19, 2011 12:55:55 AM

1k for SLI 570? If it were tri-SLI 570, i would understand.

Wait a sec. It's only a single 570. Will the OP SLI?
m
0
l

Best solution

November 19, 2011 1:39:49 AM

Here would be my advise:

1) Dont got SLI right off the back a single 570 will max out everything right now (I would even bump it up to a 580) Once you need a performance boost hit it up with another GPU (if you do the 580 it will be cheaper and make it even better)

2) Cases are always the hard part to choose, go with one you like or describe what you would want to see in it or on it (i.e. blue leds, black case, spacious room for upgrades, yada yada yada)

3) the build below is just below 2k save the rest of the money for future upgrades (which sould only be adding a new GPU)

4) Monitor? do you need one or do you have one already and whats the resolution


Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $100.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-2500K - $225.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 - $175.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - $48.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2 x EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB - $720.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM - $150.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM DVD - $20.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Crucial M4 128 GB SSD - $210.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $45.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High Performance 80PLUS Silver - $150.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - $100.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Total $1943


Case:

Mid-Towers
Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Graphite Series 600T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Carbide Series 500R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Full Towers:
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec Twelve Hundred V3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER HAF 932
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thermaltake Chaser MK-I
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
November 20, 2011 7:03:01 PM

cutebeans said:
1k for SLI 570? If it were tri-SLI 570, i would understand.

Wait a sec. It's only a single 570. Will the OP SLI?



Yes, my original intention was to SLI
m
0
l
November 20, 2011 7:05:22 PM

Silvune said:
I think you would have to want to run very power intensive programs (furmark, BOINC, etc) on a regular basis to need more than 850W.
Or basically if you don't want any restrictions on what you could upgrade to in the future.

This review shows a system with two GTX 570s using 556W at the wall running Furmark.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way...
They were using a fairly efficient unit so I'm only going to take 10% off that number, which means that their system consumed 500W. That kind of load would only stress an 850W PSU to ~58%. Furmark is an unrealistic load, so not many programs will cause a system to draw as much. Typical power consumption is going to be much lower. A 60% load on a high quality PSU should not be a cause for concern.

If you still want a ~1000W unit then here are some others which don't have such high ripple:
Cougar GX-1050 80Plus Gold Modular $170 ($20 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill Lightning 1000W 80Plus Gold Modular $180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W 80Plus Gold Modular $195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Enermax Revolution85+ 1020W 80Plus Silver Modular $205 ($6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT Hale90 1000W 80Plus Gold Modular $210 ($6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair HX1050 80Plus Silver Modular $220 ($20 rebate, $6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Picking up on what michxymi said you could save a lot of money on this build and not notice any immediate drop in performance or any decrease in performance in the future IMO. For instance 16GB is overkill for gaming atm and I can't really imagine this changing soon. Even if it does then it would would be easy and should be cheap enough to buy and install more RAM.
The motherboard could probably be downgraded unless that is the cheapest one with all the features and performance that you need.
Atm clock speed is more important than more than 4 cores, and by the time this changes surely the i7-2600K won't be up to much.


Wow, thanks for that input. I'll be sure to consider a 850W. I was just worried because a lot of people I've been talking to make it seem like I need a lot more.
m
0
l
November 20, 2011 7:09:33 PM

Emelth said:
Here would be my advise:

1) Dont got SLI right off the back a single 570 will max out everything right now (I would even bump it up to a 580) Once you need a performance boost hit it up with another GPU (if you do the 580 it will be cheaper and make it even better)

2) Cases are always the hard part to choose, go with one you like or describe what you would want to see in it or on it (i.e. blue leds, black case, spacious room for upgrades, yada yada yada)

3) the build below is just below 2k save the rest of the money for future upgrades (which sould only be adding a new GPU)

4) Monitor? do you need one or do you have one already and whats the resolution


Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $100.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-2500K - $225.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 - $175.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - $48.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2 x EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB - $720.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM - $150.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM DVD - $20.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Crucial M4 128 GB SSD - $210.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $45.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High Performance 80PLUS Silver - $150.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - $100.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Total $1943


Case:

Mid-Towers
Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Graphite Series 600T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Carbide Series 500R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Full Towers:
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec Twelve Hundred V3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER HAF 932
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thermaltake Chaser MK-I
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Thanks for the tips man! I've been debating over this for a while now since I realized that the Kepler cards are around the corner....might drive the prices of the GTX 5 series cards down. So I was considering a single 570 for now.

As for the monitor, I have a SyncMaster220WM....it's alright...but I've been wanting an upgrade for a while. The resolution is : 1680 x 1050
I've wanted a 1080P for a while. Currently I'm debating between dual 24" or a single 27". Any suggestions on which setup/monitors to go with would be appreciated.
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 1:17:09 AM

I prefer small monitors so I would go with two 24" monitors, but it all depends on what type of games you play.

Here are two different Asus monitors for $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you cant ge those two there is an Acer Monitor for $178
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would stick to the Asus if you can pocket it I trust them a lot more than Acer
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 6:44:17 AM

Emelth said:
I prefer small monitors so I would go with two 24" monitors, but it all depends on what type of games you play.

Here are two different Asus monitors for $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you cant ge those two there is an Acer Monitor for $178
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would stick to the Asus if you can pocket it I trust them a lot more than Acer


I like those asus monitors a lot. But I just realized dual monitors isn't the best for gaming unless you don't mind the frames in the middle.
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 8:08:25 AM

Use one for gaming and the other for web surfing and what not :p 
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 12:38:12 PM

Emelth said:
Use one for gaming and the other for web surfing and what not :p 



This is my first SLI build and I'm kind of a nub as to how it would work. Does SLI force me to use both monitors or can choose to play games on only one monitor?
m
0
l
November 22, 2011 12:35:02 AM

it only offers higher FPS .. no matter how many monitors u playing on
m
0
l
November 22, 2011 12:36:09 AM

also getting 570 sli and gaming at 1080p resolution is kind of a waste
go for 2560*1440 or something like that
m
0
l
November 28, 2011 11:25:41 PM

Best answer selected by churry.
m
0
l
!