Sign in with
Your question

Dell Optiplex GX660

Last response: in CPUs
February 11, 2012 12:47:03 PM

Hi,

I have been given a Dell Optiplex GX620 from work.

For business reasons they have removed the hard drive.

I have tried to use a mini OS on a CD to start the computer without success - I believe that there are Dell specific files that the system needs before I can get to the bios, which would have been on the original HD that has been removed.

Getting and fitting a replacement SATA HD is okay for me.

Can anyone advise me about the Dell specific startup files I need, that is what to look for and where I could find them, to be able to view the bios and be able to make a start?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike Kavanagh

More about : dell optiplex gx660

a b à CPUs
February 11, 2012 1:14:35 PM

Mike, there are no BIOS files on the disk... I am a bit conserned when you say you tryed a mini OS without success... Without a hard drive you should be able to run a linux live OS without problems. I would try and download something from here
http://livecdlist.com/
I like knopplix but they all should work for you.
when you download it it comes as a ISO file and you will need to use that file to burn to disk. do not just copy it to disk.

if you are able to run a linux live OS then you know that the computer works and it may be worth it to you to buy a HDD and windows to install on it.

have a great day
February 11, 2012 5:29:08 PM

Hi ,

Thanks for your suggestions - great site.

I did what you suggested - i used tiny core linux just to see if it worked.

the behavior was the same as when i used the other iso system i have (mini os).

the problem i think is that without the original HDD the pc does not have the right driver to read the CD.

I'm looking for guidance on where to get these drivers - i think you need to load them onto a floppy drive initially. all very primitive.

thanks for your help.

-Mike
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2012 5:04:10 PM

when using a linux live disk it has all the needed drivers on it. tell me how you burned the ISO to disk. also tell me the exact behavior. were you able to set your computer to boot from CD/DVD?
February 13, 2012 2:39:46 PM

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me - i downloaded a piece of burning sw and used the default settings (I didn't do a simple copy).

I put the cd in the CD drive and started the pc.

when i switched it on ...

the pc peeps (in total it beeps 6 times)

the cd drive light flashes for a couple of minutes.

then it stops beeping and flashing.

at no time does the keyboard lights flash so there it never sees the keyboard in order to use the F keys access the bios.

similarly the screen never lights up.

all looks quite sad at the moment.

-Mike
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2012 4:07:29 PM

Mike remove the "defective" hard drive and try again.
February 13, 2012 6:23:22 PM

Hi,

There is no hard drive at the moment.

-Mike
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2012 11:45:54 AM

Have you tryed just hitting the "F2" key a few times when powering it on?
February 15, 2012 5:55:54 PM

When I press the "F2" repeatedly during startup nothing happens.

Just to let you know the keyboard is connected via usb - and there are no signs the PC 'sees' it as no keyboard lights are coming on during this startup.

a b à CPUs
February 15, 2012 10:59:55 PM

do you have a old style keyboard? if so try that.
February 16, 2012 2:29:53 PM

Hi,

I do (with a purple din type connection) but there is no where on the PC box to connect it - only usb ports which surprises me.

unless i can use one of the other ports?

-Mike

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 5:53:31 PM

You may have a problem device... do you have any PCI cards installed? remove them... do you have a different video card you can swap in?
!