PokerChip

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Like the previous poster cost is not an issue but I don't want to waste money on things I don't need. This isn't about spending money on the very best. It's about getting the best performance for my particular need without wasting it on things I don't need. If a component is less expensive than the very best component and has the same or similar performance of the very best component then it is preferable to me.

The system will only be used for trading and research and not for gaming or any other use requiring a lot of system resources. This will mean I will have several windows open at the same time each with 30 or 40 tabs open. Having 4 monitors will allow me to go from a trading idea to execution of a trade very quickly without having to click a new tab or window.

I do live in the US and my time frame is the next 30 days.

Thanks for your assistance!

OK then :)

Since you do have a flexible budget I'll give you a list of everything except the cases, and supply a separate list of cases ranging in price but all adequate.

While I throw that together perhaps you could tell me about your computer environment.

Network?
Back up strategy?
Internet access?

Here's a list

LG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS70 OEM - OEM
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Data
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
More power than you need but room to expand
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
reasonable board with the ability to add a second video card should you feel the need for more monitors later.
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
You don't need a K series CPU, but the price is right and it's value added. Makes the CPU more valuable later in it's life as it can be overclocked for large gains.
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
This has some features that may be useful to you, especially network automated backups.
ATI 100-505610 FirePro 2460 512MB PCI Express x16 Low Profile Workstation Video Card
A professional grade card that will handle all 4 monitors. Yes it's a bit pricey, but quiet and you can add a second for more monitors should you ever need. Two cheap cards would work, but limit your options.
Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
A fast and reliable SSD for your OS and apps. This will ensure you can always start an unopened app in the shortest amount of time.
TOTAL: $1,315.08

That's a good starting point I think.