Will intel switch CPU sockets soon? mobo insurance

omer94

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Hey guys,

So im thinking of a new build soon, but i want it to last for a while. I figure the best way to do that is make sure that the mobo can support the next couple generations of CPU so will intel (because i prefer intel CPU's) switch sockets anytime soon because im a bit confused as to the 2011 socket.

Thanks

bubbles11

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Intel is changing sockets for their next generation of processors already, so you might just wait until first or second quarter of 2013 for Haswell processors.

omer94

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks bubbles how long do these sockets usually last?

oxiide

Distinguished
Word seems to be that Haswell will use a new motherboard socket, so 1155 is done for. However, its not really practical to choose your platform based on drop-in processor upgrades anyway.. sockets don't stick around that long anymore. Plus, a modern Ivy Bridge (or even Sandy Bridge) processor is probably good enough to last you through the next socket anyway.

Only the Sandy Bridge E Core i7's, like the i7-3930K, -3970X, etc, use LGA 2011. It likely doesn't have a bright future either.

patrickcrowely

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Usually 2yrs, 775 lasted 4. Your CPU is good for use maybe 5 or 6 yrs far as gaming performance. Future proofin only really applies to graphic cards.

Actually, that's the bit of tech it applies LEAST well to, because of how quickly they become outdated.

The only form of technology you can consider investing in "future proofing" for are your case, monitor, fans, and possibly power supply; the parts that will last through multiple builds.

TRENDING THREADS