Norton 2004 causes BSOD with SP2?

The bottom line:

Norton Anti-Virus 2004 installed and enabled with all the latest updates.
XP SP2 installed. Clean boot. Right-click on a drive in Explorer, I get a
BSOD.

Same scenario: Reboot. Uninstall or simply disable NAV. Right-click on a
drive in Explorer, no BSOD, everything perfectly fine.

I can reproduce this consistently.

No such problem before installing SP2.

According to LiveUpdate, I already have all the latest components.

Stop error 0x0000007F, parameters are 0x00000008, 0xF771FD70, 0x00000000,
0x00000000

No driver listed.

What next?

Anyone else?
9 answers Last reply
More about norton 2004 bsod

    Homer--

    Is *Live Update* working on NAV2004 now? The reason I ask is they released
    a patch for Norton AV versions this morning that Live Update should
    automatically pick up. Whether or not that patch will correct this if you
    get it via Norton Live Update is a great question. It's not available *any
    other way* unfortunately, so those with broken Live Update from SP2 can't
    get it without uninstalling SP2 and uninstalling and reinstalling NAV, and
    hoping the patch will fix Live Update.

    Otherwise having Live Update working is not essential for Norton to be
    effective. The key is for Auto Update to work. It is the *main man* (or
    woman) in that application. It does script blocking and email blocking to
    the point that you don't need those duplicative features to even run when
    Auto Update works and I know a number of Symantec people who don't even run
    script blocking and email blocking because auto update does those
    effectively and they want to save resources.

    I hate this as a solution in that I'd rather post a fix. The best solution
    might be to select another AV vendor until MSFT the newest antivirus vendor
    on the block gets out their first product.
    But wheyn you installed NAV 2004 with all the latest updates, did you get
    this morning's new Update through (unfortunately the only way--see my other
    post) Live Update.

    One solution might be to uninstall SP2, and uninstall and reinstall NAV 2004
    and see if Live Update will get the patch just released--it may and then to
    reinstall SP2 RTM--a slight pain but wouldn't take that long. Sometimes
    though, even that won't make the two compatible and that's why a lot of
    people are going to anything but Norton/Symantec to paraphrase an election
    season slogan.

    I'm glad of one thing--your BSOD isn't keeping you from getting up to
    Windows and you aren't in the situation where F8 to Safe Mode SR, LKG, the
    Recovery Console, an upgrade install and a parallel install can't get your
    OS back.

    Good luck,

    Chad Harris

    The bottom line:

    Norton Anti-Virus 2004 installed and enabled with all the latest updates.
    XP SP2 installed. Clean boot. Right-click on a drive in Explorer, I get a
    BSOD.

    Same scenario: Reboot. Uninstall or simply disable NAV. Right-click on a
    drive in Explorer, no BSOD, everything perfectly fine.

    I can reproduce this consistently.

    No such problem before installing SP2.

    According to LiveUpdate, I already have all the latest components.

    Stop error 0x0000007F, parameters are 0x00000008, 0xF771FD70, 0x00000000,
    0x00000000

    No driver listed.

    What next?

    Anyone else?

    Symantec suggest that there are no concerns for their users and updateing to
    SP2.

    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

    You should get in touch with their tech support folks and explain to them
    that all the assurances on this web page do not overcome your problems.

    "Homer J. Simpson" wrote:

    > The bottom line:
    >
    > Norton Anti-Virus 2004 installed and enabled with all the latest updates.
    > XP SP2 installed. Clean boot. Right-click on a drive in Explorer, I get a
    > BSOD.
    >
    > Same scenario: Reboot. Uninstall or simply disable NAV. Right-click on a
    > drive in Explorer, no BSOD, everything perfectly fine.
    >
    > I can reproduce this consistently.
    >
    > No such problem before installing SP2.
    >
    > According to LiveUpdate, I already have all the latest components.
    >
    > Stop error 0x0000007F, parameters are 0x00000008, 0xF771FD70, 0x00000000,
    > 0x00000000
    >
    > No driver listed.
    >
    > What next?
    >
    > Anyone else?

    > Homer--
    >
    > Is *Live Update* working on NAV2004 now?

    Hi Chad,

    Yes, Live Update was working (?? never had a problem with it) and I got the
    latest updates, to the extent where it claimed I had the latest version of
    every component and there was nothing else available for me to download.

    I still had Norton 2003, so I uninstalled NAV 2004 and installed that--it
    works fine, except it runs into some error installing the "Symantec Common
    Client Updates". It's functional otherwise and doesn't cause any BSOD.
    I'll keep NAV 2003 on until I can get any sort of feedback from the Symantec
    folks.

    > Symantec suggest that there are no concerns for their users and updateing
    > SP2.
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html
    >
    > You should get in touch with their tech support folks and explain to them
    > that all the assurances on this web page do not overcome your problems.

    Thanks for that. Will do.

    I'm thinking this is also partially hardware related, because I only have
    one machine this happens on--an IBM machine with a preloaded OEM NAV 2004.

    Homer--

    I understand. You need to Fix Live Update to get the SP2 patch. Here's how:

    "It's functional otherwise and doesn't cause any BSOD. I'll keep NAV 2003 on
    until I can get any sort of feedback from the Symantec folks."

    Read Below: The Catch is to make NAV or NSW compatible with SP2 you need
    for Live Update to work perfectly so it can get yesterday's compatibility
    patch.

    Thanks for the info. I was getting at two things I'll try to make more
    clear and hope they help you. "All the updates" I don't care about right
    now, just the patch for SP2 because that could be key for you. Live Update
    should have gotten that done automatically yesterday. That's the only way
    to get the Norton Patch for SP2. The other point is that Norton handles
    problems with Live Update installation errors with one bottom line KB--1812
    linked below. Live Update is not all that important, but it is for the
    *Norton SP2 compatibility patch.* It's the only way they are delivering it.

    1) What I'm seeing on a lot of groups is that people who use 2004 and 2005
    are having considerably less compatibility problems with Norton anything and
    XP SP2. This was even before the update patch provided yesterday by Norton
    for SP2. So you may want to install Norton Antivirus 2004 --and now that it
    can get the patch it should avoid that BSODinstead of your NSW 2003 for that
    very reason. I understand why you booted 2004--none of us wants a BSOD and
    where it could lead--to not being able to boot to Windows. But either of
    them might work if you get one Live Update--the compatibility patch released
    yesterday by Norton for SP2.

    Here's the announcment of the patch--but the catch is that Live Update has
    to work to get the patch--it's not available on their site and their Tech
    Support is using Norton KB on error 1812 to fix Live Update.

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2004080212383739?Open&src=ivr_na_con

    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html?src=ivr_na_con

    You may want to use your 2004 NAV--I know there are fans of a lot of the
    components/utilities of NSW like One Button Check and Win Doctor and their
    staff--which make a little more space by clearing up shortcuts and doesn't
    tend to the registry nearly as efficiently as an app like Winguides Registry
    Mechanic
    http://www.winguides.com/regmech/

    2) The update I was particularly interested in via Live Update for you was
    *only one.* Here's why--it fixes Norton for SP2 in most cases. Yesterday,
    early in the AM--probably while most people were sleeping--Live Update
    automatically installed a patch for XP SP2 to make Norton work with it. One
    sign that it is working is that Microsft's simplistic Windows Security
    Center at the Control Panel Applet--for people who can't figure out whether
    their AV or Firewall are on or off or forget that they exist or to turn them
    on--MSFT is trying to make sure you don't forget--will recognize Norton AV.
    The more important result is that when that Security Center does recognize
    NAV--NAV works--scanning, Auto Update--you don't get boots with Norton off,
    and Live Update works.

    3) When you get any "installing error" what you almost always get is the KB
    below 1806 and it's bottom line is to click on "common clients's plus sign"
    and then click on the entry that shows which will lead you to their bottom
    line KB (I know--they could have served it up to you in the first place
    which is the Error 1812 KB for what to do with Live Update Installation
    Problems).

    See these Homer--They make you read through 1806 to get to 1812--that's why
    I put 1812 on top--its their bottom line to the Live Update Install Problem:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2003082911090713?OpenDocument&src=_mi&product=LU&version=2.5&language=english&module=LU&error=1812&build=Symantec

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2002071915240913?OpenDocument&src=_mi&product=LU&version=2.5&language=english&module=LU&error=1806&build=Symantec

    Let me know if you get it fixed. If you can get throught the current hour
    to two hour wait for paid support that's what the Symantec techs will tell
    you.

    Good luck,

    Chad Harris

    > Homer--
    >
    > Is *Live Update* working on NAV2004 now?

    Hi Chad,

    Yes, Live Update was working (?? never had a problem with it) and I got the
    latest updates, to the extent where it claimed I had the latest version of
    every component and there was nothing else available for me to download.

    I still had Norton 2003, so I uninstalled NAV 2004 and installed that--it
    works fine, except it runs into some error installing the "Symantec Common
    Client Updates". It's functional otherwise and doesn't cause any BSOD.
    I'll keep NAV 2003 on until I can get any sort of feedback from the Symantec
    folks.

    Homer--

    Did you know Conan O'Brien when he wrote for "The Simpsons?"
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/tv/conan-obrien-faq/

    That stop error is a non-specific hardware error or memory error sometimes
    related to hardware and as you know close to 75%+BSOD's are hardware or
    driver related in a Windows OS. At least MSFT preaches that very often at
    meetings and elseware.

    http://tinyurl.com/5dp6n

    You may well have a hardware error, but you may get ancillary info on that
    machine by going to run box and typing in "Eventvwr.msc" without quotes,
    going to Application and then to System and scrolling to the time this BSOD
    happened.

    Best,

    Chad Harris
    ____________________________________

    The bottom line:

    Norton Anti-Virus 2004 installed and enabled with all the latest updates.
    XP SP2 installed. Clean boot. Right-click on a drive in Explorer, I get a
    BSOD.

    Same scenario: Reboot. Uninstall or simply disable NAV. Right-click on a
    drive in Explorer, no BSOD, everything perfectly fine.

    I can reproduce this consistently.

    No such problem before installing SP2.

    According to LiveUpdate, I already have all the latest components.

    Stop error 0x0000007F, parameters are 0x00000008, 0xF771FD70, 0x00000000,
    0x00000000

    No driver listed.

    What next?

    Anyone else?

    Chad,

    I went through a clean install of NAV 2004 again this morning (after taking
    2003 off), along with all the latest updates. At no point during the
    installation did I get any failure or warning. Running LiveUpdate again, it
    doesn't detect anything amiss. According to it, I have the latest version
    of everything.

    However, I still get a BSOD when right-clicking on a drive in Explorer...
    :-(

    Homer--

    I did some searcing on Symantec's site using "blue screen 07 stop error
    norton 2004"
    and found a number of Norton KBs listed here:

    http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/query.html

    You might want to look some of these over quickly and see if they have any
    useful help.

    I'll try to do some research later but there are people here who are much
    more familiar with right clicks in Explorer and the many modifications in
    Windows explorer. You might want to put right click explorer norton 2004
    BSOD type terms into a search engine and see if you hit any pay dirt.

    Just from that stop error message though, as you probably know well, I
    think you would have to consider hardware, memory sticks, sometime something
    that is loose or a driver as a possible cause. Have you installed any
    recent hardware or drivers that might have a clue to this behavior?

    I know it's very compelling to you that you can repro this consistently with
    Norton 2004 and I am at a loss to say why. Norton support (if you can get
    through) may be better able to put their finger on this and provide some
    help.

    Please keep me posted.

    Chad Harris
    ____________________

    Chad,

    I went through a clean install of NAV 2004 again this morning (after taking
    2003 off), along with all the latest updates. At no point during the
    installation did I get any failure or warning. Running LiveUpdate again, it
    doesn't detect anything amiss. According to it, I have the latest version
    of everything.

    However, I still get a BSOD when right-clicking on a drive in Explorer...
    :-(

    Homer--

    I don't know what to do to change the BSODs, but here are some links to help
    adapt NAV 2004 to XP SP2:

    I may be able to give you some info that will help you with your Live
> [...]
    > this update failed when it ran. This update was not applied."
    > This KB is their answer to your error with Live Update you posted the SS
    > on:
    >
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2003082911090713?OpenDocument&src=_mi&product=LU&version=2.5&language=english&module=LU&error=1812&build=Symantec
    >
    > What is the Norton WMI Update and which products does it affect
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/d3c44a1678bd8f45852566aa005902cb/c2418ae9dd4f5dad88256ecb006a1503?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    >
    > Symantec Security Alert appears after running LiveUpdate or installing XP
    > Service Pack 2
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/d3c44a1678bd8f45852566aa005902cb/06e59a840e36cfa888256ecb00697c60?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    >
    > Documents about Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Symantec products
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/d3c44a1678bd8f45852566aa005902cb/3c6167651414de3488256eca0055e475?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    > 1) Try to run Live Update from what Norton Calls the NSW 2003 Integrator.
    > 2) You will probably get a number of updates in, but it will balk at the
    > top 3 in the list--Common Client Updates, NAV, NSW. There will be a plus
    > by the updates that didn't get installed. When you click on them, you get
    > Norton KB 1806. 1806 will tell you to click on the plus and then click on
    > the item that comes down when you do which will lead you to Norton KB
    > 1812.
    > 3) Try to fix your Live Update following Noirton KB 1812 which may require
    > a manual install if the first steps like cleaning the Live Update folder
    > don't work.
    > 4) When you run live update, you'll get a smaller window that will tell
    > you to install the WMI update and then reboot and then you'll get one more
    > patch update.
    > 5) A successful install will show an item "Norton WMI" in Add/Remove:
    >
    > Uninstalling and reinstalling the Norton Windows Management
    > Instrumentation (WMI) Update
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/d3c44a1678bd8f45852566aa005902cb/ca9b38802520051a88256ecb00644577?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    >
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2004021112313539?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2004070811151413&nsf=sharedtech.nsf&view=d3c44a1678bd8f45852566aa005902cb&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=
    >
    > Good Luck,

    Chad Harris

    Chad,

    I went through a clean install of NAV 2004 again this morning (after taking
    2003 off), along with all the latest updates. At no point during the
    installation did I get any failure or warning. Running LiveUpdate again, it
    doesn't detect anything amiss. According to it, I have the latest version
    of everything.

    However, I still get a BSOD when right-clicking on a drive in Explorer...

Configuration Norton Blue Screen Windows XP