• 42 %
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7
  • 17 %
  • Other
  • 17 %
  • 2011 Socket
  • 25 %
December 15, 2012 9:07:40 PM

Hello everybody, I need some suggestions & if you could...explain a lil why you're picking the certain MoBo.. I have a Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z as of now with two GTX670's, 16GB's of RAM, H100, Corsair AX 850, Dual Force GT 180GB SSD's. I ended up getting a 3770K real cheap/free through a program that Intel have with stores that particpate. I was going to go X79 for christmas, but decided better & I'm just going to upgrade my video cards instead. I do a lil movie encoding, but I mostly play games maxed out on a 1440P screen. If anyone have a better Motherboard suggestion, please let me know & why. I also like to overclock (Addicted to it) One more note, I will be doing a full custom loop to this rig also. The reason I am upgrading is... I want the most out of my cards & a 2600K & Z68 won't give that to me.

I Narrowed it down to:

ASRock Z77 Extreme9: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus Maximus V Extreme: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you for your help....

More about : extreme motherboard

December 15, 2012 10:05:51 PM

Why wouldn't a 2600K give you the most out of your rig? Overclocked it's effectively equivalent to the 3770K. I'm voting 2011 if your buying a new processor.

Edit: I'm assuming you already have a 2600K and a Z68
December 15, 2012 11:28:01 PM

PANZER4 said:
Why wouldn't a 2600K give you the most out of your rig? Overclocked it's effectively equivalent to the 3770K. I'm voting 2011 if your buying a new processor.

Edit: I'm assuming you already have a 2600K and a Z68

Yes I have a Maximus IV Extreme-Z. I got the 3770K as a gift. The 2600K doesn't run better than the IVY Bridge, just clocks better. When You put a GTX670 with a IVY Bridge CPU, you get much better gaming performance....

Related resources
December 16, 2012 2:45:56 AM

You're blowing money on those mobos, the only reason you should get them is for 4-way SLI (which isn't reccomended on Z77 mobos anyway). If you want a good mobo, get the Gigabyte UP5 TH or the UP4 TH- High end mobos that will suit all your needs for $100 less than those. Save the money and spend it on something nice, like a 2 TB HDD to go with your SSDs.
a c 87 V Motherboard
December 16, 2012 3:33:51 AM

I agree with you somewhat.Although that's based on your opinion.It's not wasting his money.If he prefers one of those and enjoys it. @OP Asus Maximus V Extreme gets my vote.
December 16, 2012 5:23:02 AM

I have two 2TD Western Blacks already..... @Bigcyco1, I'm leaning towards the MVE also, just with my exp with their boards, UEFI, & quality. My son has a Z77 V-Pro paired a 3570K & it works great. The Z77 UEFI is a lot better than the Z68 MIVE....
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2012 5:32:38 AM

Wait... you have two 670s and are upgrading your graphics cards? To WHAT, if I may ask?
a c 87 V Motherboard
December 16, 2012 6:08:05 AM

I heard the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7 holds the world record right now.For highest overclocking motherboard.I still would personally go for Asus Maximus V Extreme.That is not enough to sway me lol!
December 16, 2012 6:30:28 AM

DarkSable said:
Wait... you have two 670s and are upgrading your graphics cards? To WHAT, if I may ask?

4GB GTX 680's. I play @1440P & with everything maxed out, cards hit 17-1900MB's of Vram on last 3 games I bought. Sleeping Dogs w/HD Pack, Far Cry 3, & Hitman Absolution. I actually have three 670's, but other one is in a Graphic Rig. With future games @ this resolution, I'm sure they will top out. Not going to wait till March for a 780 either, if it will be one @ that. I am putting my new rig under water.

@bigcyco1, I like the Gigabyte also & it's a great board, but I love the Asus UEFI, my son has a Z77 V-Pro & the updated UEFI is much better than on Z68 boards...
December 16, 2012 6:37:51 AM

I actually made a video earlier tonight for some guys on OCN, it shows 1966 @ 1080P, @1440P, I have to tune it down a bit. It's more like 3GB on 1440P. Please excuse the film maker, I did it with an iPhone...LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEUXhgMqiFc
December 16, 2012 11:22:21 AM

patrickcrowely said:
I have two 2TD Western Blacks already..... @Bigcyco1, I'm leaning towards the MVE also, just with my exp with their boards, UEFI, & quality. My son has a Z77 V-Pro paired a 3570K & it works great. The Z77 UEFI is a lot better than the Z68 MIVE....

You still don't need any of those motherboards, the only reason you would want them is if you were running 4 680s in crossfire, which no one would reccomend. If you are dead set on those, however, I would go with the UP7- monster of a board.
December 16, 2012 11:49:29 AM

vance09 said:
You still don't need any of those motherboards, the only reason you would want them is if you were running 4 680s in crossfire, which no one would reccomend. If you are dead set on those, however, I would go with the UP7- monster of a board.

I will run three, so I do need one of those above. I'm going to do a text with a 3820 & Rampage IV Formula & three 670's to see how much a performance difference it is for myself. Everywhere I've read it's not a big difference between 2011 & 1155 when it comes to gaming. In 2013 we will all need more graphical horsepower under the hood. I think the Gigabyte board is a very nice board also, just want to know if their UEFI has been updated. Sin0882 says it still needs work...
December 16, 2012 11:52:44 AM

patrickcrowely said:
I will run three, so I do need one of those above. I'm going to do a text with a 3820 & Rampage IV Formula & three 670's to see how much a performance difference it is for myself. Everywhere I've read it's not a big difference between 2011 & 1155 when it comes to gaming. In 2013 we will all need more graphical horsepower under the hood. I think the Gigabyte board is a very nice board also, just want to know if their UEFI has been updated. Sin0882 says it still needs work...

ok, sorry, should have said you had three. I personally would still go with the UP7, software can always be updated, hardware can't. Go with the best hardware, as long as the software is decent you should be good.
December 16, 2012 12:07:12 PM

vance09 said:
ok, sorry, should have said you had three. I personally would still go with the UP7, software can always be updated, hardware can't. Go with the best hardware, as long as the software is decent you should be good.

You're right, but Gigabyte's Bios has almost remained the same. My wife had a Gigabyte Z68 UD3P & I think it had maybe 3 UEFI updates & none really helped the UEFI directly. Then a lot of the features of the board you couldn't even change in the UEFI. You had to change inside of Windows & it was buggy. The board was a good board, but I quickly got rid of it. Now the UP7 I think has a different line of updates to itself... I like UP7 more than MVE far as power phase & Components, but the MVE has a really good overall PKG.
December 16, 2012 12:10:49 PM

patrickcrowely said:
You're right, but Gigabyte's Bios has almost remained the same. My wife had a Gigabyte Z68 UD3P & I think it had maybe 3 UEFI updates & none really helped the UEFI directly. Then a lot of the features of the board you couldn't even change in the UEFI. You had to change inside of Windows & it was buggy. The board was a good board, but I quickly got rid of it. Now the UP7 I think has a different line of updates to itself... I like UP7 more than MVE far as power phase & Components, but the MVE has a really good overall PKG.

From what I've read the recent Gigabyte mobos have pretty good UEFIs, so I really wouldn't worry about it too much. If you've got the money, go for the best you can buy, and don't look back.
December 16, 2012 12:19:31 PM

vance09 said:
From what I've read the recent Gigabyte mobos have pretty good UEFIs, so I really wouldn't worry about it too much. If you've got the money, go for the best you can buy, and don't look back.

Just found a couple good reviews on their UEFI....
December 16, 2012 12:40:53 PM

patrickcrowely said:
Just found a couple good reviews on their UEFI....

Then I would go with the UP7. Asus has more brand recognition, so you'll get more votes for the Maximus, but Gigabyte quietly makes superior mobos.
!