Sign in with
Your question

Cable Help Needed.. Connecting PSU to GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2011 3:47:12 AM

My GPU (GeForce8800gtx) has two 6 pin pci-e power inputs.

My Psu (corsair hx520w) has two 6 pin pci-e power outputs.

Why can't I find a cord that will connect the two? Can anyone please help? It needs to be at least 12 inches long (preferabbly a little longer).

My other option is to go with the pci-e conversion to dual 4 pin connectors, but I don't understand why I can't seem to find any pci-e to pci-e cords.. do they not make these?

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 3:55:15 AM

Are you saying the Corsair PSU PCI-E cables are too short?
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 4:00:04 AM

Are you saying that your power supply is a modular one and you can't find the pci cable that was supposed to come with the power supply. Either I am reading your post wrong or something but you said that the card has two 6 pin inputs and your power supply has two 6 pin outputs what is the problem then.
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2011 4:23:05 AM

Sorry, my problem is that I don't have any cables to connect pci-e to pci-e.

About to check out links above..
m
l
September 14, 2011 4:26:47 AM

Thanks for the help.. I'm afraid I have found the real problem now.. I just discovered that my gpu has an 8 pin pci-e connector (the aforementioned 6 pins are inputs I guess?).

Here we go again!
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 4:35:19 AM

The 8 pin you have is the end split into a 6+2 connector or a solid 8 pin. It's hard to believe that the PS doesn't have a 6 pin. Take a close look at the end and see if it is possibly a splitable connector.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 6:23:56 AM

If your PSU has two 6 pin PCI power connectors and your video card needs one 6 and one 8 pin connector, just use both 6 pin PSU connectors. If you look really close at an 8 pin (or 6+2) PCI connector, you will see that the two extra wires are ground lines.

Assuming the same wire gauge, an 8 pin connector cannot carry more power over its 3 hot wires (the yellow ones) than the 6 pin connector can carry over its three hot wires.
m
l
!