2012 FSX Computer Specs

Hello,

I see a lot of previous posts regarding Computer specs for FSX but they are for 2009, 2010. obviously times have change and newer stuff has come of agae. How is this for specs for FSX please? Thinking bout purchasing, and possible build but found this cheaper:

Dell Alienware Aurora Gaming Desktop, 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600 (3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost)
8GB DDR3
1TB HDD
Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545 - SLI Enabled
24X CD/DVD burner
802.11 b/g/n

Thank you. :)
2 answers Last reply
More about 2012 computer specs
  1. I don't know flight simulator, but the system seems quite decent at least. I'd probably pick different graphics cards, but overall it isn't a bad thing. Far as I recall, the fsx software is very cpu bound, so you'll definetly want a fast one like the 2600.
    I think you'd be able to buy a cheaper homebuild system though, but obviously with less support.
  2. I'm having the same dilemma. I think the set up you're looking at is good for FSX. I'd definitely look at not getting Dual GPU's. I've heard from lots of people that dual GPU configurations are actually harmful to FSX as the game is much more CPU reliant than GPU. Dual GPU configs tend to give it a much slower frame rate.

What i'd suggest is something like this set up (You will have to order from somewhere other than alienware)

- Intel Core i7-3280 (Quad Core 3.6Ghz with 10MB Cache)
    - 8-16GB DDR3 1600Mhz (Kingston/Samsung)
    - 120GB SSD (For OS to run on) & 600GB - 1TB HDD 7,200 - 10,000RPM (For FSX Install and files)
    - 1.25 - 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX580
    - ASUS P9X79 PRO Motherboard (Important as Processor for FSX)
    - Corsair 650W TX-650 Power supply.

This should be an excellent FSX setup. The reason being it has a strong CPU with hyperthreading and a 10MB Cache. Also, having the RAM running at 1600Mhz rather than the standard 1333Mhz gives multitasking a great help. Separating the rest of the OS from the FSX system on two different drives is important. Having a high RPM on the HDD you will be running FSX on means quicker load times as well as less chance of freezing. Having the main OS installed on an SSD means superbly faster boot times and application opening.

Hope that helped a bit. I've helped myself out a bit too haha. Out of interest, do you have any accessories for FSX? Such as Yoke/Rudder pedals/throttle/flaps etc.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers