Sign in with
Your question

700$ Gaming Build (revised) Needs Mobo

Last response: in Systems
November 11, 2011 9:20:58 PM

Hey I have previously made a thread concerning a Gaming Build that I will be purchasing in a month or so. I had everything picked out but I'm deciding to change my mother board. I'm looking for a mobo thats under $130 that is compatible with the rest of my specs (and preferably blue :)  )

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB DDR3
CORSAIR Gaming Series 600W
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Case
EVGA 01G-P3-1372-TR GeForce GTX 460

I'm kinda leaning towards the GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 but I'm not to sure about it. Any suggestions?

Also please do not recommend me to change any of the specs above :) 

November 11, 2011 10:22:42 PM

Also I live in Canada so its newegg.ca
m
l
November 12, 2011 3:45:37 PM

does ANYONE have any idea on which motherboard to get?!?!?!
m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2011 3:51:53 PM

I have very recently used a ga-z68ma-d2h and i was very pleased with it. The only thing i didn't like about it, is that i couldn't have a direct control over the case fan. Auto fan control off made computer sound like a jet, auto fan on made case fan run soooooo slow, rpw control made case fan somewhat faster but i ended up 7volt-ing it through a 4pin molex.
Your chosen PSU leaves a lot of unused headroom if you don't plan to SLI and will not be enough if you do. (Btw the mobo i just gave you doesn't support sli or xfire)
m
l
November 12, 2011 4:02:42 PM

I don't plan on SLI or Xfire but maybe a little Overclocking. Is that a overall good PSU though?

Is the ASUS P8P67 LE a good mobo?
m
l
November 12, 2011 4:12:31 PM

Sure, any corsair will do, same with antec, enermax, ocz (just not their fatal1ty ones), lepa, cougar and many others.
Well i guess you are not going to OC with the i3 eh?
Any asus mobo is quality stuff. Some have compatibility issues on the last memory bank. I haven't used this one you mentioned and i got mixed feelings about their LE products. I'd go for the cheapest of the two.
m
l
November 12, 2011 4:17:38 PM

I forgot to mention, i wouldn't OC on either board since they are 4+1 phases, for a lil OC later on go for a mobo with at least 12 or even 16+2. For what you are currently putting in the rig they will do just fine.
m
l
November 12, 2011 4:32:29 PM

I actually am thinking about going way over my budget and purchasing a GTX 560ti and an I5-2500k and 8gb Vengeance. Mostly because I do not want upgrade for a while. It's 100+ dollars over my budget but I think its worth doing so.

Before I had an ASRock Extreme3 Pro3 mobo in the build but took it out because of the hefty price in Canada. But I am willing to put it back in. Is it as good as a board as I hear it is?
m
l
November 12, 2011 4:38:20 PM

Sorry the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
m
l
November 13, 2011 9:32:56 AM

It offers so much for such great price i don't even have words for it.
Solid 8+4 power phases that will overclock you smoothly. It even has an auto OC ability that comes so close to what an experienced Overclocker would choose, it is fantastic.
There is a catch, it offers 2years warranty instead of the standard 3. I am willing to overlook that.
I wouldn't get the 560ti, i would get the 6950. It is a better performer paired with a twin (no micro-stuttering) and it beats the older tech 560ti in most comparisons.
Your thoughts are very good in wanting to futureproof, i would do the same. The chosen PSU should be good though i am a little fidgety with "gamer series". Prices rise and drop, any solid 600-650watt psu will do (including the one you chose). Don't restrict yourself to corsair. I am an enermax fan but i will go out of my way to pick the best priced solid psu i can find. Enermax/Antec/Corsair/OCZ (not the fatal1ty!)/Lepa/Cougar/Superflower/Be Quiet/Seasonic. For those brands you don't even need to search for a review, they are always solid. Xigmatek/Zalman/Thortech/Thermaltake (Toughpower series)/Silverstone/Chieftech/NZXT/XFX make good PSUs but search for more than one review before purchase making sure their 12rail is rock solid, they have good efficiency and they are not too loud.
Going 2500k requires a good cooler for the OC. It also requires low profile memory so that your cooler clears the heat spreaders. Speaking budget i love the Corsair A70 cooler.
Try to figure out a way to save money on the psu while not compromising quality and add an aftermarket cooler. Since you don't plan on SLI or Xfire the 560ti is going to be ok, and so is the 6950. The E3 Gen3 is great for overclocking and it's 8+4 phases is the only reason we are not looking at a cheaper model.
m
l
!